what could this be caused by?

xNOLOVEx

Oct 21, 2011
ok my motor is stock for now just got blaster.
but i have full fmf exhaust. then i changed my main jet to 280 with my needle in the 3rd clip slot.

now heres the problem idk if its because its very cold out (first quad in the winter) but i start it up n let it warm for about 20 minutes. then i go down the street. but when i let off throttle my quad slows down real fast like "pressing breaks" it never did this in the summer when it was warm
(also now i listen to it run it sound like the piston makes ticking sounds):-/

Silly question , how and what is the oil in the tank, or do you premix, if so what oil and ratio.

Pull the pipe off and look up the port to see if there is any ring/piston damage.

Didn't say difference of summer to winter. Did you re-jet? Roughly +1 size for every 20 drop in temp. Maybe the piston is trying to seize? Like said, pull pipe and look at piston.

Also for any looking: do not use bean oil below about 40*f.

Roll it down the street in neutral if its still resisting it'd replace the carrier and front wheel bearings. If there's no resistance it's probably a bad big end bearing.

sorry i was in a rush. but ill try to explain more.. my blaster was owned by 3 people before me i have plans for a rebuild.
okay in the summer when i got it, i replaced all bearings n brakes oil n gas.also cleaned carb. it ran fine the motor sounded good. after i put pipes on i went up in jets each time untill i got "plug chop" right. (that time the temp was around 75-80 in summer)

then i rode it the other day towards the after noon it was cold about in the 30s. but everytime i let off the throttle it slowed down (as in pressing brakes lightly) it didnt coast like usual... i got off listened to the motor -i dont know how to really explain this part but as best as i can... the motor was running but you can hear the piston at the same time it sounded like a fast rattle....

When temps go down main jets go up. I'd say it's time to atleast check the crank. IMO sounds like the big end bearing is giving. No other way to check other than pulling the jug...

Another thing is it did it before in the summer with stock main jet n fmf pipes. Untill I changed to bigger main jet.....

Another thing is it did it before in the summer with stock main jet n fmf pipes. Untill I changed to bigger main jet.....

Actually a little simlier example on how the rattle sounds from the piston (no homo) lol but if u heard that term rolling your R's with tour tounge? thats what it kinda sounds like

Sure sounds like detonation caused by a lean condition, check out that piston and if it looks good bump the main up a few sizes and then do a plug chop.

I dont want to sound mean or anything but does anyone here know that you can cold sieze a 2 stroke that's air cooled. Even small bore 125's However this is not a problem if you have a heated garage or barn that's above 60*.
To stay ahead of you guys snomobiles dont have this problem cause their hoods trap the heat coming off their engines, mufflers, warming everything up and keeping it there.

You might have answered your own question. You added pipe and didn'y change jets, it had a dragging feeling. The air temp changed at least 50* and you didn't change jets and it did the "Drag" thing again, hmmmmmmmmm. I have a dollar says you partially seized the piston. And wether anyone has injection or premix, ya gotta make sure it's rated for cold weather. Bean oil isn't good below about 40*

Pull your pipe off at the motor and take a peak at the piston. The ex side is where damage usually occurs first. If it looks bad try to post a pic. If it has scratches deep enough you can feel them with a finger nail, don't ride it, you will only cause more damage which is more $$$$

BTW, FYI cold seizing is where the piston heats and expands faster than the cylinder. All us cold riders, warm the bike until you can feel a good amount of heat on the cyl fins.

I will see your 1 dollar on a gentlemans wager(full arm shake) Agreed!!! lol. Larry's shee yep spot on right. Thats what my mechanic allways tells me.hehe

Just for giggles, unbolt the rear caliper and try to slide it off the rear caliper. I had a frozen cable one time that acted up something fierce! Apparently water had gotten down in the end of the cable and was frozen even when I let the quad sit in the relatively warm garage, by the time I had let it sit outside for a few minutes, the cable was frozen again LOL.