vforce3 reed cage

mmajay

800 V Twin
Aug 6, 2010
Busco Beach NC/ Goldsboro
I wanted to post a picture of how I opened up the reed cage about 2-3 mm to match the intake size a little better. If you buy these reeds more often than not you have to cut a cone off to install and after i looked at the vf2 cage and compared i decided to make the hole size about the same after removeing the cone.

After compareing the vf2 and vf3 i believe the vf2 is a better design right off the shelf but with 45 mins of grinding you can open it up very close to as large. The vforce3 cage does have ample material that you can safely remove so dont be scared.

I used carbide burs and finished off with a rubber bit to get a great smooth finish just like it came that way. I can see why the reedcage is prone to leaks it needs lapped bad and i will do that another day.
mcrdk3.jpg
[/IMG]

hmmm,, i thought the v'3 where opened up bigger than the 2's, but there is alot of material that can be removed from there...any chance of some better pics, thanx bud

hmmm,, i thought the v'3 where opened up bigger than the 2's, but there is alot of material that can be removed from there...any chance of some better pics, thanx bud

I wish i could get better pics, i need to buy a cam i had this one 15 yrs and its a 2 meg cam and cost 700 bux now you can get 13megs for less than 100.

Actually the v2's have a larger intake area. The only good thing i see that is better about the 3's is there is no screws to get sucked in. I sold the v2s or i would of showed a side by side. I can see why some people stick to the v2 cage.

I wish i could of done a step by step of the cone removal and removal of the material but i done it at work because i have a bench just for porting with 70,000rpm pencil grinders and i done it on the down low.

Actually for 120 bux the v-3 cage is built badly mismatched at where they snap together which causes leaks. I have to lap them or i know it will leak.

was the vf2 you had new? if not it might have been worked on already. just a thought. never seen one myself

The v2 cage dont give any room for altering like the v3 cage does. Actually with some work the v3's will be nice but right out of the box i was disapointed on the way they were restrictive and mismatched as well as a not needed cone.

i dont like that whole idea of the snap together either...i just used a thin layer of yamabond on the seam and the entire intake surface between both gaskets...but mine is off now and i will look into this...thanx again man

I haven't gotten into mine yet. i def plan on porting and laping it. down with airleaks! waiting to afford your intake boot to get to work on it

I haven't gotten into mine yet. i def plan on porting and laping it. down with airleaks! waiting to afford your intake boot to get to work on it

Actually scot that intake i have that you want is allready ported and polished. I could not run a stock intake when i can make it flow better. I removed some material and mirror polished the inside before I intalled it. Thats the advantage of haveing a nice porting bench area at work.I:I

I was talkin about porting and lapping the vf3's but that is f'n shweet that you already did that suff with the boot. can't wait even more now. lol.
\
and yes dan i think you do need to rejet a little just like one size though

ive just ordered some vf3's and cant wait to get them but this make me worry ? :S also will i have to rejet with vf3's??

Dont worry. All you need to do to make it work is cut a silly cone off. I allways go over the top when i mod sh*t but its not needed. You might be ok with your current jetting but i would step up 1 size as well.

have you seen the my build man. there is no way i am leavin that thing untouched. I want this thing to scream. I've planned on porting it from the day i got it. just haven't done it bc i want to match it to the boot.

the vf2's were bigger port and pedal areas than the 3's, but the loss of that area is the result of the "no screws" on the 3's, that was the biggest complaint on the 2's, those screws coming loose and eating up a top-end, not worth the risk imo,
and the vf3's only need modded when using the wrong "pro-design" or other A/M intake, pro design makes an intake especially for the vf3's, just seems we all get the wrong intake first, then try to add vf3's
they fit right into a stock intake, with a slight mod to it, which brand new vf3's come with the spacers/bolts and simple directions to do this in 5 minutes

but here are some better pics from when i had to do this exact thing................

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/modding-vf3-reedcage-23766/

I did the exact same thing awk did except I removed as much material possible from the reed cage first then I removed as much material needed on the intake to allow the largest hole possible without messing up the integrity of either. I still say piss poor quality on an expensive cage.