Upgraded headlight to mini 4 bulb led light

Trailblaster25

Aug 23, 2024
I recently got my blaster its a 97 200 i recently upgraded the headlight the old one worked on dim i got the bright to work but it was dingy and couldnt tell a difference i replaced it with a square 4 led light bar style spott light from autozone i ran the red + from the led bar to the yellow high beam on the original and grounded the black - from the new light to the frame ground it works pretty well but flickers due to the bike being ac current and the light being dc but is only noticeable at idle is there anything i should know about this setup my main concern is will it damage the stator some people on youtube say the light will eventually burn up but its cheap enough to replace easily the led is much better

I recently got my blaster its a 97 200 i recently upgraded the headlight the old one worked on dim i got the bright to work but it was dingy and couldnt tell a difference i replaced it with a square 4 led light bar style spott light from autozone i ran the red + from the led bar to the yellow high beam on the original and grounded the black - from the new light to the frame ground it works pretty well but flickers due to the bike being ac current and the light being dc but is only noticeable at idle is there anything i should know about this setup my main concern is will it damage the stator some people on youtube say the light will eventually burn up but its cheap enough to replace easily the led is much better
Also i was think about eventually getting an led whip for the missing rear light would there be any issues with that as well

You shouldnt damage the stator, it is going to put out what it can put out, the light isnt going to draw. There are upgrades you can do to the lighting coil for extra brightness, but will still flicker due to current type. You can also float the stator and add a battery/rectifier for charging that eliminates the flicker.

You shouldnt damage the stator, it is going to put out what it can put out, the light isnt going to draw. There are upgrades you can do to the lighting coil for extra brightness, but will still flicker due to current type. You can also float the stator and add a battery/rectifier for charging that eliminates the flicker.
I see thank you for the reply i have looked into floating the ground and it is something i may do in the future the flicker doesnt bother me thanks again

The stator generates AC current but for your lighting system it runs through the rectifier regulator where it is converted to 12V DC. The flickering is due to the voltage drop at lower RPM falling below the threshold the LED lights require to illuminate. Best way to address that is as stated above, adding a small battery to the system.