06 Wont throttle up at all?

Chris Kelly

May 24, 2020
I have a recently acquired 2006 Blaster. Supposedly has a new top end rebuild. It ran for 1 hour poorly when I got it home. Seemed fuel related. Anyway it died and hasn’t run since. Till today. First we lost spark on day 1. We replaced coil and plug, no spark. Moved to stator. Replaced w a slotted caltric stator. Floated the ground on it, ran new wire. I followed the diagrams found on here. I did this to add led lights and tail/brake since none on the machine. Also replaced magneto and key. (also have the trail tech reg/rec w battery set up). Got our spark back. I also replaced the carb, with OEM mikuni, have air screw set at 1-1/2 turns out from tight. This machine has TORS delete Motion pro set up. New cable installed and new cap. I also rewired the entire machine the only original wire is in the loom from my CDI. I’m also using a New CDI from Yamaha. From the CDI I have the yellow black run to ground/ same ground as the black wire from the CDI. There’s no wire to my throttle handle it’s gone switch plate removed. There’s no parking brake either. That wire G/Y is open. Also Green/ White stripe not connected from CDI. My kill switch is good and works. No key. I finally got it to start and Idle. (No Screw in my new carb yet). When I push throttle I get no response. A slight bog but stays idling. I’ve checked my cable and the throttle body 20 times now. I hear it opening and closing I can hear a pull in air but seems no fuel increase. At this point the only part not new between the air filter and piston is the reeds. They look original. I haven’t pulled them. I do have new ones coming. I have a video if I can get it to attach. Thanks for any help.
No leak test, or compression test done I’m def not a mechanic, have had a couple friends good with 2 strokes take a try at it too. Feels Tors related or something along those lines. I’ve spliced the y/blk and the black solid wire together and that kills everything if the black isn’t frame grounded.

Attachments

• 18BBDF57-B4C5-4903-BA8A-B4D3114A4FFA.jpeg
    18BBDF57-B4C5-4903-BA8A-B4D3114A4FFA.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 189
You may wanna look an see if the piston is in properly. Pull the carb off and reeds out. Look in the intake and push the kicker to view the piston in motion. Should have two large holes that line up with the intake. If the piston is in backwards it will not let the fuel in when necessary.

You may wanna look an see if the piston is in properly. Pull the carb off and reeds out. Look in the intake and push the kicker to view the piston in motion. Should have two large holes that line up with the intake. If the piston is in backwards it will not let the fuel in when necessary.

Thanks I will check that. this quad did run although not great it ran and throttled up before it lost spark.

Also, check your compression. Its pretty easy. You can get one at an auto parts store for rather inexpensive. Screw it into the sparkplug hole and kick it over until the guage reads as much as it will go. Should be around 120psi. Also if you are having wiring issues, South Texas Banshee sells nice quality harness for a decent price. They are better than oem.

Reactions: Slydog
You also replaced carb with oem one? New or used. Are you sure it's clean?plugged jet?.
And you are sure tors is disconnected properly?
Just shoting some questions your way to see where you are at. And what you checked.

Also, check your compression. Its pretty easy. You can get one at an auto parts store for rather inexpensive. Screw it into the sparkplug hole and kick it over until the guage reads as much as it will go. Should be around 120psi. Also if you are having wiring issues, South Texas Banshee sells nice quality harness for a decent price. They are better than oem.

I do have spark it will start w a half kick and idle fine but no throttle

Reactions: Slydog
I believe I have the timing set at 0. It has a 4 degree advance key in it now bc I sheared off the reg new one. And as far as the carb goes it’s brand new out of the box. Yamaha mikuni. I haven’t installed an idle screw into it yet I do have the oil intake blocked off same as the one I took off was set up. I have pulled the bowl on it checked it out. Thanks guys for the reply’s and any ideas are greatly appreciated. Is there anything possibly with the throttle cable I’m missing? I did replace the old motion pro cable w the exact same thing new and the cap on the carb. I’ve pulled it off so many times to make sure the slots are lined up it’s dropping in all the way. The cable feels likes it’s working as it should i def hear it opening and closing.

And as far as the Tors the only sign of it ever existing is the wire from the CDI. Yellow w black stripe. It is run to ground w the solid black from the CDI harness. I tried splicing the 2 together not to ground as I see in some earlier threads and pics but if the black from CDI isn’t grounded no start.

If any one can give me a clue how to post a vid I do have a quick one as far as how it’s running currently but I seem to be able only post a pic

I believe I have the timing set at 0. It has a 4 degree advance key in it now bc I sheared off the reg new one. And as far as the carb goes it’s brand new out of the box. Yamaha mikuni. I haven’t installed an idle screw into it yet I do have the oil intake blocked off same as the one I took off was set up. I have pulled the bowl on it checked it out. Thanks guys for the reply’s and any ideas are greatly appreciated. Is there anything possibly with the throttle cable I’m missing? I did replace the old motion pro cable w the exact same thing new and the cap on the carb. I’ve pulled it off so many times to make sure the slots are lined up it’s dropping in all the way. The cable feels likes it’s working as it should i def hear it opening and closing.
With aircleaner boot off carb you should be able to visually see if slide is moving. Or stick your finger in there and fell the slide moving

Disconnect yellow/blk strip. And try it. I. Don't believe it should be grounded?

I have had y/BLk just open. Not spliced to anything or ground and it will run but no change in throttle condition

I believe you did say the cdi box was OEM correct? I've gotten aftermarket ones that are trash. Causes big headaches. Also I would get an OEM key and get it to throttle up before playing with the timing. As far as your stator, there are ways to check them but you would need a volt meter. I believe its in the service manual. May wanna check that to be sure.

Thanks will do! The stator is new from Caltric. Slotted type w timing gauge on left side. I have the degree key in it only bc I broke the oem key not seating it correctly. First time for me doing one

Definitely make sure that stator is doing what it should. I can't count how many times I've bought parts that don't work properly straight out the box.

Thanks will do! The stator is new from Caltric. Slotted type w timing gauge on left side. I have the degree key in it only bc I broke the oem key not seating it correctly. First time for me doing one
If you use that key make sure it in correctly AND timing plate has to be at ZERO advance