Tyres for asphalt

Blaaster

Staff member
Technician
Jul 18, 2011
eastern australia
Ok guys, I very seldom ask for help, but my lad has been invited to a drag meet.
A promoter was impressed on how his Blaster got up and got going in the dirt.

He presently runs Kenda claws, and slicks are unavailable at the moment.

Do you think that a set of 3/4 worn Holeshots would grip the road enough.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Street tires would be the best route but seeing you only have dirt tires I would think about shaving off all the tread that is left on the hole shots and making a set of slicks. You will never get optimal traction on a set of knobbies. Your other option is to use a set of rear lawn mower tires but with the tire size being different you will need to gear it correctly to accommodate smaller tires.

Reactions: HACK
I think you should be fine with the semi bald tires you have already. That is unless the blaster is pushing some serious power and only wants to spin tires.. Knowing you blaaaster I'm sure yous will do some trial and error to see how they hook up on asphalt. That's if you haven't already. Remember warm tires make sticky tires. :) Good luck on the track...

i run holeshots on asphalt and they are pretty bald, they will grip but i wouldnt advise going fast around corners, and if it rains i wouldnt even attempt to go out if they are 3/4 bald lol

if yall have any guys that flat track race around you could ask them if they have any used hoosiers that is where I got my hoosiers for 30 bucks and most racers use them one race

Thanks for the input guys.

Street tires would be the best route but seeing you only have dirt tires I would think about shaving off all the tread that is left on the hole shots and making a set of slicks. You will never get optimal traction on a set of knobbies. Your other option is to use a set of rear lawn mower tires but with the tire size being different you will need to gear it correctly to accommodate smaller tires.

I was toying with the idea of removing the tread to make slicks, and gearing would be no problem as we have a selection matching chains and sprockets.

I think you should be fine with the semi bald tires you have already. That is unless the blaster is pushing some serious power and only wants to spin tires.. Knowing you blaaaster I'm sure yous will do some trial and error to see how they hook up on asphalt. That's if you haven't already. Remember warm tires make sticky tires. :) Good luck on the track...

Have found an unused stretch of road for the testing, and a wheelie bar is on the drawing board.

i run holeshots on asphalt and they are pretty bald, they will grip but i wouldnt advise going fast around corners, and if it rains i wouldnt even attempt to go out if they are 3/4 bald lol

Our Holeshots are pretty bald, and there ain't no corners on the strip, so I think I will get the lad to burn the rest of the tread off when practicing.

if yall have any guys that flat track race around you could ask them if they have any used hoosiers that is where I got my hoosiers for 30 bucks and most racers use them one race

Quads are a rare breed where we live, and any type of spares especially for a Blaster with 8" wheels are even rarer, and what is bitter sweet, I just gave a set of 8" turf tamers away.

Not ever doing asphalt before , for a start would you recommend that we start with low ratio and not use first gear, or go high and punish the clutch?

I would hear high and plan in starting in first. In theory you will get your best time starting in 2nd but there is a lot of variables. You can have a bad (bog) starting in 2nd but not in first. I have 2 full seasons in my clutch plates and they will be ran for a third. You will be surprised how much abuse these blaster clutches can take. If you decide what tires you are going to run let me know the rollout and I will get you close on gearing.

As the front will not be extended at all, what length of wheelie bar should we aim to make.

The setup is a DMC Alien pipe, 22cc toriodial cut head, pod filter directly on the carb throat, stock 26mm carb, #320 main jet, 25:1 pre mix, set up for power in the low/mid range.

We do have the option of a 35mm Mikuni TMXX D slide carb, but is it really worth the effort.

Planning to run the worn 18" Holeshots, 14:40 gearing, taking off in first.

The distance is only 1/8 of a mile, so we are not looking at breakneck speeds.

We have only 2 weeks until the drags.

Last edited:
I would make a wheelie bar 6ft in length. You ideally want a tire that is 4-6 inches wide. A go kart tire works great. I wouldn't bother swapping carbs especially since you only have 2 weeks. I would also play with tire pressure,start lower and work up. I'm guessing you will be in the 6 psi range. Loosen the clutch cable up a bit so he can play with the clutch for traction at the line. Either way it sounds like fun to me. Your boy will be smiling after running the 1/8 mile!!!

Thanks for the great input guys.

The lad always has a smile on his face when he dismounts the Blaster, the 1/8 may just widen it some.

I may even take it for a test run or two!

I may even take some time to take some pics of progress and start a thread.