trx250r VS. 450

Quadrider10

Dec 18, 2011
New Jersey
www.youtube.com
alright well most of u know u have to sell my blaster :( but in the meantime, after i buy a truck, i was looking into buying Honda 250r or a 450. i still wanna race MX, and i want to get more into it then i was. i mena like hitting as many races as possible. so without hating on 4 strokes or 2's.

1) a fully worked 450 vs a ported piped and headed 250r

im trying to get an idea on wht quad will be best for racing in the C, B, and A class. im mainly looking at no mods now for the simple fact that i wont be able to buy all the mods rite away. so basically whatever i can find on CL for the cheapest i can find but still running and wont turn into a project. i like the 2 stroke power, but i dont like the maintance. i like the 4 stroke less maintaince, but idk if i like the power. and obviously a 450 is the quad of choice in MX racing.

so basically i will be racing with mostly fully worked 450's. what i plan on doing to the 250r is suspension, porting, head mod, pipe, and higher octane fuel. how will that compare/ keep up with a fully worked 450 excluding the rider's experience. and lastly which one is cheaper to maintain overall?

basically it comes down to this: how will a silightly modded 250r do compared to a fully worked 450?

Last edited:
Re: 250r VS. 450r

i vote 450r because they might have a better chanch at winning

that depends on the rider, and i will say 250r because they were built to race, my dad has one and its very light and very easy to jump, if it breaks its alot cheaper and cheaper to mod. and the 450 will be more pricey to mod or make go fast. plus the 250 is a two stroke:D dont go to the dark side (four strokes)

that depends on the rider, and i will say 250r because they were built to race, my dad has one and its very light and very easy to jump, if it breaks its alot cheaper and cheaper to mod. and the 450 will be more pricey to mod or make go fast. plus the 250 is a two stroke:D dont go to the dark side (four strokes)

thats wht im thinking.... 250r

alot of people will say get a 450 but, if your already low on cash then buying a 450 will screw you over if breaks

yea. my friend who auctally really got me into racing said trx450 or dont race... and obviously, he has money and has a modded to hell trx450. but his daughter places in c class. she's crazy fast.... trust me i know... she lapped me.

yea. my friend who auctally really got me into racing said trx450 or dont race... and obviously, he has money and has a modded to hell trx450. but his daughter places in c class. she's crazy fast.... trust me i know... she lapped me.

wow a chick lapped you lol jk and if you do get a 450 though get a yfz!! yamaha ftw!!

yea. my friend who auctally really got me into racing said 450 or dont race...

your friends an idiot, imo. 80% is rider skill in mx and 20% is the machine. Bottom line if you suck at riding it really doesn't matter what your on

wow a chick lapped you lol jk and if you do get a 450 though get a yfz!! yamaha ftw!!

if i get a 450, its gonna be a trx450r

your friends an idiot, imo. 80% is rider skill in mx and 20% is the machine. Bottom line if you suck at riding it really doesn't matter what your on

yea allthough thats true, them being racing for years, and me only raced 2 races, them on 450, me on 250, its gonna be clear who the winner is. and im not u... i cant holeshot and win a 450 class on a blaster! lol that still blows my mind.

ya but it doesent hurt to have more power that the other bikes

to keep it fair, lets take out the riders experience. im opting for the 250r, cause its all around cheaper, then 450. and can make some good power with some simple stuff done to it. i mean it has to be faster then a worked blaster.

but like i said. 450's are quads of choice on the track around here. out of all the practices and 2 races i went to, i saw 1 2 stroke quad. and it was a trx250r one of the baddest 250r's out there imo. he took 3rd or 2nd in collage boy agenst 450's and was having a lot of problems himself too. but never have i seen a 2 stroke quad race other then me.

if i get a 450, its gonna be a trx450r

yea allthough thats true, them being racing for years, and me only raced 2 races, them on 450, me on 250, its gonna be clear who the winner is. and im not u... i cant holeshot and win a 450 class on a blaster! lol that still blows my mind.

to keep it fair, lets take out the riders experience. im opting for the 250r, cause its all around cheaper, then 450. and can make some good power with some simple stuff done to it. i mean it has to be faster then a worked blaster.

but like i said. 450's are quads of choice on the track around here. out of all the practices and 2 races i went to, i saw 1 2 stroke quad. and it was a trx250r one of the baddest 250r's out there imo. he took 3rd or 2nd in collage boy agenst 450's and was having a lot of problems himself too. but never have i seen a 2 stroke quad race other then me.
well what quad do you want?

Deep down you know what you want, i say go with the gut instinct. Someone else had a good point, those YFZ's seem to be going off pretty well in mx. Hard to beat the torque of a four stroke, but the 2 strokes have their advantages to... I think the 450 would be less of a pain to maintain and mod personally... Lot more common nowadays...

Heres a video to get you in the 2 stroke mood :D

Heres one for the 4 stroke mood lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Woh woh woh woh wait....

You can't afford your blaster right now...

So how will you afford a $3000+ machine down the road?

idk... ill figure that out when time comes. im also gonna have a job in the next few weeks. i hope.

Deep down you know what you want, i say go with the gut instinct. Someone else had a good point, those YFZ's seem to be going off pretty well in mx. Hard to beat the torque of a four stroke, but the 2 strokes have their advantages to... I think the 450 would be less of a pain to maintain and mod personally... Lot more common nowadays...

Heres a video to get you in the 2 stroke mood :D

2002 Supercross TRX 250R's - YouTube

Heres one for the 4 stroke mood lol

cub run mx - YouTube

deep down i want a 250r. it is my dream quad.

For $600 you can throw an esr330 big bore kit on an r. You want power, there you go.

yea but i also dont want to mod the hell out of the 250r just to keep up with a built 450. let alone pulling holsehots or placing. like i dont mind doing mods, but not go freaking crazy on it. same with 450. i know i wont be able to afford parts as fast or cheaply as 250r. but there are more parts out for 450

like here:

i want to pipe it, port it, and head redesign/chamber/ raise compression, do some suspension, and just little odds and ends like gearing, higher octane, etc and be able to at least keep up with a build 450

I want the 250r, but if I don't have a chance to keep up at least with minimal mods at least.for the begge.ing stages, then a 450 would be good, cause in stock form I believe it will have a better chance. But upgrades come slower with thatcause there more expansive.

Like I know rider experience has a bigger part then the bike, so Wht I'm mainly worried bailout is the price of the aftermarket, and just overall fairness agenst fully worked 450's weather that be with the 250r or a 450. As I'm seeing it, they way I'm gonna find eaither on cl, is close to stock for both bikes. bike,