Trans oil

Jeffery5568

Jan 25, 2012
Finally got the blaster going but I want to change the Trans oil what do y'all use in your blasters?

The manual calls for 10W-30 type SE motor oil (non-energy conserving).

The reason is, energy conserving motor oils have additives like phosphorous and sulfur compounds which can cause "sticking" of the clutch plates and swelling of the fiber material.

Good luck finding any motor oil sold today rated type SE or lower (they're up to SL or so) which means all of the currently sold motor oil is incompatible with wet clutches (clutches whose friction material is bathed in oil).

As a decent substitute, any of the "gear saver" oils can be used as long as they're very near 10W-30 in viscosity OR standard automotive transmission fluid can be used (type F recommended if you can find it).

I run ATF in my transmission and change it regularly. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to find, AND it's easy to see if it's contaminated because the red tint to it.

I use atf type f but I find myself changing it too often.

I might have to switch to something else.

I followed good ole ken on this one i asked him what he runs and this is as is what i use now also AMAZING!!!
but its a half half mix so 50% 10w40 and 50% ATF Type F

I've been reading some post that guys seem to be confused on what oil to run. I just read a post thats 15 pages long and nobody seemed to know, Some guys are using 10w 30 motor oil. WOW!!!

Go to your local tractor supply and get a gallon of John Deere Hy Guard. We use this in all of our drag racing trannys and it withstands temps that no other oils can come close to. We drained a tranny that had bad slipping issues replaced it with Hy Guard and it runs as good as new. Alot of the x country desert racing moto x guys swear by Hy Guard in there bikes. This stuff is used in the largest earth moving machines in the world and can withstand all types conditions/abuse.

Tractor supply has there own brand just read the back it should say Hy Guard or JDM J20C.

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search...icUrl=http://www.tractorsupply.com/-080638399

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/4968_fb_HyGardsTransmissionHydraulic.htm

Last edited:
As long as it doesn't have friction modifiers, and is for "wet clutches" it's all good!

I use belray gear saver 80W!

I've been reading some post that guys seem to be confused on what oil to run. I just read a post thats 15 pages long and nobody seemed to know, Some guys are using 10w 30 motor oil. WOW!!!

Nothing confusing about what the Yamaha service manual recommends, Yamalube 4 (10W30) , plain and simple pure 4 stroke engine oil..

Other oils work as well, some maybe better, it all depends on user choice or application. :)

Nothing confusing about what the Yamaha service manual recommends, Yamalube 4 (10W30) , plain and simple pure 4 stroke engine oil..

Other oils work as well, some maybe better, it all depends on user choice or application. :)

Im not confused! Its the guys using motor oil and heavy weight gear oil that are!

Man, you sure are a Five post know-it-all?? FYI, Yamalube 4 (10-30) is a motor oil, but it is for either 4stroke with shared engine oil with trans or a 2s trans . And the "gear" lube you refer to is specifically made for a 2s trans, not 120w "gear dope" you might put in your dump truck or JD. I would have to investigate what JD120 spec is before I would even think of using it. But being a bit lazy I'll just use what's known and proven. FYI, probably 50% of Banshee owners run ATF type F.

Man, you sure are a Five post know-it-all?? FYI, Yamalube 4 (10-30) is a motor oil, but it is for either 4stroke with shared engine oil with trans or a 2s trans . And the "gear" lube you refer to is specifically made for a 2s trans, not 120w "gear dope" you might put in your dump truck or JD. I would have to investigate what JD120 spec is before I would even think of using it. But being a bit lazy I'll just use what's known and proven. FYI, probably 50% of Banshee owners run ATF type F.

Who cares if I have 5 post? let me guess you have over 1500 post so that must make you a genius? So you put 10w 30 yamalube in your vehicles to? Or do you use 10w 30 auto oil in your bike. Cause thats what a meant.

All I was doing is posting another option for guys to use maybe save them some cash and having to go to a dealer. But I'll let the guy with 1500 post investigate it first before it's ok to use. So don't go by what I say guys I only have 5 post and just graduated from kindergarden.

Did a little research on John Deere Hy Gard and it seems like it would do the job.

But as my Blaster runs a little faster than a tractor, i'm going to stick to plain old engine oil.