The 89 cr 125 restoration

boomadge

Dec 21, 2011
New York
Got this 89 around thanksgiving time, was in real rough shape. I like my old cr bikes and decided I wanted to bring it back to life OEM style as much as possible. Brung her down to the frame all powder from allpowderpaint shop.
Frame is pc'd with a mix to fighting red (hondas r-134). The sprocket side case cover was trashed from to many chain breaks and had to be replaced.
So I split the cases,pulled all bearings,seals,ect and pc'd all case parts with satan black. Put in new crank,all new case bearings and seals, 1st and 3rd gear was chipped and replaced them. New shift prawl,and bushings. Modded the inner and outter clutch housings and hard coat anodized them. New fiber and plates when into it alog with new la sleeve to bring it back to stock bore. Some case matching and porting was added to it. Then new piston /rings ect. I went with a new stator, and coil pack. Got the new powervlave linkage and governor system all in time. Bolted it all together with brushed stainless oem replica hardware.

Cleaned up the keihin put in new carb kit and chock lever. Old school
boyesen reed boot and cage and found some new carbon fiber pedals for it.

New motion pro throttle and clutch cables,perches,levers ect.

blasted and pc'd everything possible with either satin black,fighting red,or clearcoat.

New shifter.

Master cylinders,calipers all rebuilt after they where pc'd, and then some nice galfer pads.

Swing arm and link blasted,pc'd and new bearings/seals pressed in.

Front and rear wheel bearings and seals replaced.

New front and rear rotors

Sprockets and chain (13/53 now)

replaced stearing head bearings/seals

Chain rollors/guides/ ect all new oem

I kept the vintage 89 hrc/procircuit number 3142 expansion chamber, it took some work to get it looking good again, ended up blasting it, Zinc phosphating it, and 3 stage hi temp (1200 deg) flat black pc'd.
I purchased a pro circuit factory 304 slincer to match up with it.

Found some nice red shock/seal covers.

Fly bars

Oem kill button

I have the rear shock tore apart awaiting for the new parts from factory connection to rebuild it.

Seat is recover'd with oem replica

New plastics awaiting new vinyl

Radiators where a mess,found some oem take offs that are in excellent condition inside and out. Just going to prep them up to make em like new.

I have some more work to do, finding eom new parts is almost near impossible for the 89. Its been an extremely fun adventure so far..

I am still in the hunt for works frame guards, :)

Here she is so far.

100_3735_zps99b4eb4f.jpg

100_3734_zpsc4bd7e45.jpg

100_3736_zpsc2d7a9df.jpg

100_3737_zpse83d1847.jpg

100_3741_zps178860d3.jpg

100_3742_zps75c7e9e9.jpg

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Holy crap your gonna have a brand new bike by the time you get done with that. My bike is ten years newer than that one and it doesn't even look that nice. I'm kinda jealous lol

I hear if you fill a pipe with water and seal the ends, and freeze it itll pop out the dent.

You should of seen it before, I had made plugs for the ends and a shrader valve. Used a torch and heated the pipe while adding air. Got up to 120 psi and called it a day. All i needed was a seam to blow out.

Adds some nostalgia to it :)

I'll update as it goes along.

Some of tonights progress,shock rebuilt and 150 psi nitro,Uni filter,subframe,airbox,bolted up.Pro circuit silencer mounted up, Radiators installed,tank back on.
Gonna pick up some distilled water so I can mix up the rad fluid, should be able to get it fired up saturday after I get done some OT
at work.

100_3743_zpsede8084a.jpg

100_3744_zps999a7f0f.jpg

100_3746_zpsc5867b75.jpg

100_3747_zps433a2a27.jpg

100_3748_zpsa7603217.jpg

Last edited:
i grew up doing most of my riding on that exact bike..i was 16-17 i loved it ..i jumped the crap out of it to,triple jump..good job man:)

Last edited: