Studding Rear Tires

York Racing

Apr 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
At first I thought that this would be an obvious thing but then I realized some of the DIY's on this site and how some people are just less experienced. So I took an extra pair of my Maxxis Razr Radials (usually a dirt tire) and converted them into a more ice and snow approriate tire. I used some 3/4" self tapping roofing screws that you can pick up at any local hardware store. I decided to use a ? volt hand drill of unknown origin. Lol I then took and drilled 1 screw (at First) into the outer rectangle tread. Then as I went I added more to meet my needs and satisfactions. In the end I had changed normal dirt track tires into a pair of mean looking, aggresively treaded (yet still cheap) ice and snow tires. Feel free to ask questions and I will answer then as quickly and accurately as possible. In hind sight, I would probably use smaller screws such as a 1/2 inch of the same type. Just remember that you will need a decent amount of screws to do both tires. Hope this helps. =]

wrong.... sheet metal screws work for the most part.. but hook up on ice no where near as good as actual ice studs.. ice studs are hardened and sharpened, a back of 250 is like 18 bucks.... i normmaly run 200-300 per rear tire depending on the tread...

Yeah I know they make em I'm just going by what people may have lying around the house. I had these in my shed and they met my needs because I dont ride on ice or anything like that. Just my track with maybe 2-6" of snow with ice underneath for and I did this both as an experiment and to get some increased hook up. But if anyone wants some studded 9" Maxxis Radial Razrs I have them for sale because I dont have 9" rims. They will work nice for just about anything.