Stock Rebuild Blaster Doesn't Run Right

ecolton1

May 12, 2024
2001 yamaha blaster stock top end rebuild, new gasket kit, seal kit, oil injection deleted, TORS deleted, stock pipe, modified airbox lid, passes leak down test, good compression, clean carb 230 main jet. Will run but won't idle, won't Rev, smokes a lot.

Flywheel key would be the next thing I would check. If it is sheared the engine will run horrible, if it runs at all.

This may sound dumb, but also check and make sure the pipe and silencer are clear. I recently had a pipe that was obstructed with a mouse best give me fits with my daughters Blaster.

A compromised ignition system can give you all sorts of hell. Anything from a sheared flywheel key, weak/failing coil, aged sparkplug wire and/or sparkplug cap, compromised wiring, or even a wet fouled sparkplug. I've experienced ignition issues that you would swear was a jetting/fuel issue.

Ok, I was also messing with the carb and no matter how I jetted it it still over fueled

Is the pilot jet missing .. sorry. Has it run long enough to get up to operating temp? Wondering if fuel somehow drained into the crankcase. It would be rich & smokey till it burned off. Or if the oil gravity drained through the carb while waiting for new top end.

Reactions: RIDE-RED350r
I ran it then shut the fuel off and when it was about to run out of fuel the rpm picked up and it ran good before quiting. But the carb is clean It has the stock 230 main in it pilot jet is there. Does that mean I should go with an aftermarket carb or keep trying to mess with the oem one

Float height may be set too high or sticking, allowing too much fuel into the carb bowl. If the engine is not running and the fuel petcock is in the "on" position, does fuel drain out of the carb overflow?? It does sound like you have a fuel problem.

If that carb continues to give you fits, I would recommend a new genuine Keihin PWK28. No Chinese knock-offs. Some have good luck with them, others don't. Too hit and miss...not to mention I prefer to support companies who truly support us and not buy from the Chinese who are attempting to rip off their designs illegally.

I don't like the knock-offs either, so I ended up getting a banshee carb from a friend and it runs like a champ, but I still wonder, what's wrong with the oem one?

Reactions: RIDE-RED350r
There are some very small and easily obstructed fuel and air circuits in the carb main body. There really isn't a practical way to mechanically clean them, a strong carb cleaner soak or ultrasonic parts cleaner is about the best and only option to get areas such as those cleared up. My guess is you may have issues there.

Glad to hear you got it straightened out though 👍🏻

There are some very small and easily obstructed fuel and air circuits in the carb main body. There really isn't a practical way to mechanically clean them, a strong carb cleaner soak or ultrasonic parts cleaner is about the best and only option to get areas such as those cleared up. My guess is you may have issues there.

Glad to hear you got it straightened out though 👍🏻
👍