Revvs to the moon...

woodbite

Aug 9, 2009
Tuscaloosa AL
Hi all. I bought a blaster a couple months ago. It wasn't running. The boy I bought it from put an new piston and jug on it, and couldn't get it to fire..I got it to fire finally. It was the tors. So I done away with the tors wires as per the DIY on here. Went i finally got it running, it ran really crappy..Bogging and spitting and sputter.. So I took off the carb to clean it and it didn't even have a main jet in it. But it would run good enough to putt around the yard. I bought a carb kit and installed all the new parts from the kit. It came with a 230 main. But after getting it all put back together, the floats were stuck.Fixed that and finally got it to crank back .. It ran ok with the choke all the way on. As soon as i pushed the choke half way or all the way in it would start reving to the moon. Put it back on choke and sprayed all around the head, jug and rubber boot and carb to check for air leaks and found none.. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out..Please help..Already don't like 2strokes and this one ain't helping..lol. It actually was driveable before the carb rebuild. The carb kit was from Moose racing, thats what the yamaha dealer gave me. And the clip on the needle is 2nd from top. Plug looks a little wet when pulled out. Took reeds apart and cleaned also. Didn't help..

Could it be the 230 jet? It did seem to run better bfore i installed the jet. And since that is the only thing i changed The dealer said it shouldn't have even run with out the main jet in it. Maybe I need to go up in jet size since i have the lid off and a D&G pie and silencer? I will go buy bigger jetts sat and see. What size would yall suggest I try ?

Jet that thing partner! 230 is the stock main, DG aren't that great but it's a step up from stock and no lid. I always start rich start at 300 and see what happens. Check and see if you are too rich there. If so work down from there.

Put your needle clip in the middle position and the air screw 1.5 turns out from lightly seated also. Start with these settings there so you are in the middle of the adjustments. That way you can adjust it either way.

start at a 290 main and up your pilot jet by one and lower your clip by one position. this will richen up the entire powerband and keep you from melting your engine. you will most likely end up at a 260-280 main.

WAIT!!!! before you buy new jets... it should still run plenty fine with the rebuild kit you bought... (maybe not 'FULL' potential, but should still preform as stock+, as long as it was actually the correct kik) two strokes always "high" rev when they run out of gas... it is getting too much air verses fuel..... all you have to do to get it running at least 'normal' is remove the big throttle nut on top of the carb.. there will be a cylinder with a needle sticking out of the bottom of it.. you have to pull back the spring, unhook the cable.. (there may be a brass lock in the way, pull it out with needle nose pliers)... next, there may also be philips screws.. remove them, and the "needle" will slide out the top.. it will have a little c-clamp clip on it... note what ring it is clipped to on the needle........ from what your situation sounds like, it is much too "lean".. meaning the needle is TOO far into the jet, and not allowing enough fuel vs how much air is coming in..... the solution is to pull that little clip from the needle and move it "DOWN" on the needle and clip it back again........ From your situation, I would likely move it down Two notches.... you can also just try one at a time and see the results..... also, don't overlook the little things, such as the tank running out of gas, put it on reserve (up) to be sure.. or fill tank. good luck..

WAIT!!!! before you buy new jets... it should still run plenty fine with the rebuild kit you bought... (maybe not 'FULL' potential, but should still preform as stock+, as long as it was actually the correct kik) two strokes always "high" rev when they run out of gas... it is getting too much air verses fuel..... all you have to do to get it running at least 'normal' is remove the big throttle nut on top of the carb.. there will be a cylinder with a needle sticking out of the bottom of it.. you have to pull back the spring, unhook the cable.. (there may be a brass lock in the way, pull it out with needle nose pliers)... next, there may also be philips screws.. remove them, and the "needle" will slide out the top.. it will have a little c-clamp clip on it... note what ring it is clipped to on the needle........ from what your situation sounds like, it is much too "lean".. meaning the needle is TOO far into the jet, and not allowing enough fuel vs how much air is coming in..... the solution is to pull that little clip from the needle and move it "DOWN" on the needle and clip it back again........ From your situation, I would likely move it down Two notches.... you can also just try one at a time and see the results..... also, don't overlook the little things, such as the tank running out of gas, put it on reserve (up) to be sure.. or fill tank. good luck..

Might read the whole thread again. He has a DG pipe and no air box lid. 230 is stock it lean everywhere not just the midrange. It needs a main jet also.

Got off too late to work on it today. Hopefully tomorrow I will get buy the dealer and get some bigger jets. I will let yall know what fixes it. Thanks for the replies!

Well Itried a 280 and a 300 main. Still same problem. Moved clip up one on needle. Same problem. If I screw the Mixture screw all the way in, it would idle good with choke on and finally Ran better with choke half on. But as soon as I took choke fully off, It would idle ok but as soon as I give a little gas it would start to rev on its on. Then i would have to put the choke on to keep it from reving to high. I am pulling my hairt out...Questions? the fitting that comes out of the topp of the trans below the carb. Should it be plugged or open? And I have a hole from the chain in the tranny. Could it possibly be sucking air from that hole? Or could the seal behing the flywheel suck air if it were leaking causing it to rev? The only thing I have really noticed that made a difference is turning the mixture screw all the way in. Need more Ideas of things to check. I honestly don't feel like it is in the carb itself. Thinks for the responses so far.

You need to do a leak down test on it. If the previous owner put a top end in it, then probably had a crank seal leaking and that was what wiped out the top end. The Leak down will tell you if you have a leak, crank seal, gasket, etc....

I will try and find the link to the leak down test and post it for you.

Last edited:
Alright. Will do tomorrow. When I pulled the old pilot out it was clogged up solid. Cleaned with carb cleaner and installed new pilot. Thanks for the help guys..

Alright. Will do tomorrow. When I pulled the old pilot out it was clogged up solid. Cleaned with carb cleaner and installed new pilot. Thanks for the help guys..

Did you pull out the pilot jet, choke and air screw and clean it really good. If the pilot was plugged then the rest of the circuit could have dirt in it too. Pull out all three, clean, and use compressed air to blow through all of it.

im saying the throttle is sticking open a little or you have a bad crank seal letting it suck air.

I worked daylight to dark again today. Hope I will get to it tomorrow. Thanks for the link to the leakdown test. I am gonna pull the carb apart again tomorrow and clean with carb spray and then compressed air. Did not use the comp air on it before. And the old pilot was stopped up. And then i am still gonna do the leak test before i even try to crank it..Thanks again for all the great help!

Alright. Did the leak test. As soon as i put pressure on it the air come right back out at the clutch linkage seal. And i had the crankcase vent plugged.I have been thru the carb a million times now. It is driveable but not like it should be. It has no power from right off idle. The only way i can get it to keep from revvin is to turn the air screw all the way in. I have done tried so many different things I have gotten confused my self. And the dealer doesn't have bigger pilots they have to order them. Why would the pilot need to be bigger if it ran fine before? And the compression is on 120 psi? Any more help or what do i need to do next.? I am gonna get the seal monday if i can go match it up at a auto parts house.