repainting frame

c0le

May 20, 2008
I've been wanting to repaint my frame for a while. Would it be okay to just wet sand the frame, that spray paint it with a coat of clear car paint? or what is the best way? I dont want to spend money on power coating. I could sand blast the frame, but im lazy, would the clear car paint work?

I just did mine a few weeks ago and I took super stripper(car paint stripper) and soaked the frame with that then fifteen minutes later i took steel wool and sande the paint off of it....then i took some sand paper(low grit) and sanded it down a lil bit. After that i did three light coats of car paint primer(hour in between each coat and let it sit over night....next day i paint ed it and did the clear coat! I woul make sure u dont rush this....the more concentrated and slowly u do this the better it will come out....also dont be like me and put just one heavy primer coat on cause the paint doesnt stick well that way....good luck! show pics in the process so we can see em!

Im lucky and have access to a sand blaster. Im gonna strip my frame down, blast it, then go over it by hand to make sure its all ready for paint. Im gonna do the same for all of the metal.

yeah, thanks guys, i will definately post pics as i go, as long as i use the clear car coat, should it matter what kind or paint i use?

I would use the strongest kind of paint you can get. The last ting you want is to spend a bunch of time painting it and then on your first ride have it chip and everything.

yeah, your right, would the paint put out by yamaha be strong enough with the coat of car paint?