Rad carrier

No it will not work.88-02 carriers are not a direct swap with an 03-06. Be aware of the Rad carriers.Although they look nice thats about all they are good for.

No a 88-02 axle WILL NOT work with an 03-06 carrier.However if you need an axle for an 03-06 blaster than you can also get a banshee axle.It's approximately 3 3/4 inches wider than a 03-06 blasters stock axle and is a direct swap meaning all parts on your current axle will go on pefectly to the banshee axle.Other than that an 03-06 blaster axle only.

Guess you don't believe me?
It won't fit cause it's got a big nose,droopy cheeks and a never shave!!! :):)
It will not fit cause the 03-06 blaster uses hydraulic brakes and the 88-02 are mechanical brakes.There is a rib on the 03-06 blaster axle that the brake hub sits against.On the 88-02 there is no rib cause it utilizes a floating rotor with rubber seals and lets the rotor move unlike the 03-06 hydraulic where the caliper moves.

I think you could run a 02 axle in the 03 carrier. You can run a Banshee axle in an 02 carrier. Why couldn't you run it the reverse. I run a RAD 02 style carrier with 02 style RPM axle, 02 brake hub, 03 brake disc, and 03 brakes with my own caliper bracket. I have also had good luck with my 12+ year old RAD tapered carrier. I have 3 seasons of XC racing on the bearings in there now and I bet when I check them this winter they will prob still be good. I also run a beefed up stock skid so the lower tube takes lots of hits from rocks. I'm not not easy on it.

I think you are trying to over complicate things, don't know why? As badams mentioned it should work, tho you'd need pre 03 oil seal and hub. Then would the brakes line up?
I have warrior brakes with pre 03 carrier/hub and had to make a bracket with spacers for the cali and used the floating hub with floating cali, no problems.

I have yet to see in either of your threads a reason for the carrier change. Care to enlighten us?

I think you could run a 02 axle in the 03 carrier. You can run a Banshee axle in an 02 carrier. Why couldn't you run it the reverse. I run a RAD 02 style carrier with 02 style RPM axle, 02 brake hub, 03 brake disc, and 03 brakes with my own caliper bracket. I have also had good luck with my 12+ year old RAD tapered carrier. I have 3 seasons of XC racing on the bearings in there now and I bet when I check them this winter they will prob still be good. I also run a beefed up stock skid so the lower tube takes lots of hits from rocks. I'm not not easy on it.

An 88-02 axle is an 03-06 carrier is a waste of time and will not work with hydraulic brakes.The whole reason going to an 03-06 carrier is for hydrauilc brakes.The reason the banshee axle work in an 88-02 carrier with the correct brake hub is the banshee axle is the same exact part as an 03-06 blaster axle just the banshee axle is wider.Again the banshee and 03-06 blaster use a fixed rotor where the 88-02 uses a floating rotor.The sprocket hub,brake rotor,sprocket,are all the same between 88-06 blasters,banshee,warrior.Doesnt matter what year blaster they are all the same.There was just a recent thread of a new rad carrier that broke after only a few rides.I also have one here I can post pics of thats in 4 pieces.Glad you have had luck but it's only a matter of time before the carrier(not bearings) falls apart.Again the 88-02 axle WILL NOT work correctly with 03-06 carrier.

It just sounds like you don't think its a good idea to run an 02 axle in 03 carrier, that doesn't mean its not possible or cheaper for him if he has one laying around unless you have personally put an 02 axle in a 03 carrier? Is it because you think its bad they are both floating?
The only reason I see it being a problem would be the splines for the brake hub being in the right spot to line up disc with the caliper. I parted my 03 in 04 so its been that long since I've seen an 02 and 03 axle together.

If my RAD carrier brakes tomorrow I won't be upset. I've had it since 2001 or 02. I think I've gotten my $$ worth. Are you sure you even have the RAD carrier? The ebay listing you posted in his other thread isn't even a RAD carrier.

Like Larry said I think it can be done, but it is a little confusing as to what year Blaster he has and if he even has an axle or a carrier. If it is just to get hydraulics there are cheaper ways.

It just sounds like you don't think its a good idea to run an 02 axle in 03 carrier, that doesn't mean its not possible or cheaper for him if he has one laying around unless you have personally put an 02 axle in a 03 carrier? Is it because you think its bad they are both floating?
The only reason I see it being a problem would be the splines for the brake hub being in the right spot to line up disc with the caliper. I parted my 03 in 04 so its been that long since I've seen an 02 and 03 axle together.

If my RAD carrier brakes tomorrow I won't be upset. I've had it since 2001 or 02. I think I've gotten my $$ worth. Are you sure you even have the RAD carrier? The ebay listing you posted in his other thread isn't even a RAD carrier.

Like Larry said I think it can be done, but it is a little confusing as to what year Blaster he has and if he even has an axle or a carrier. If it is just to get hydraulics there are cheaper ways.

You think what you want.I know nothing about blasters and don't even own one.I just sound and think I know whats right.8-|To the original poster do what you want but just remember I told you so. I must be illiterate as I would not know how to read RAD on the carrier. Move along with all the good info.

Who and why in the f**k would you go to an 88-02 axle in an 03-06 blaster with hydraulic brakes? It will slide in,you need the rubber seals and spring clamps,then to make spacers for tha calipers to line up,then have sloppy ass rear brakes cause everything is floating.It will go in and work with alot of manuevering and measuring.Is it a direct bolt in,NO. Will it work good,NO Will it work like sh*t,YES. You guys can see it however you want but it's a waste of time,effort,money.Stop reverse enginerring an already sh*tty design.imo

He asked about a RAD carrier in another thread. You said they are bad and said here look at this one. There was an ebay link to a carrier that is clearly not a RAD carrier. I can't remember what brand that was.

I had a 02 style Dominator I bought in 98 or 99. Then a RAD carrier in 00 or 01. Then a 03 blaster in 04/05 just to part out and get payed to use the frame and brakes. (That was my 6th or 7th Blaster by then. Currently just have #5 and #6) Didn't see a reason to sell the axle just to loose money and buy a new RPM when I could take an hour to make some mounts. My brake pads always wear normal and tons of people have floating/floating so we know that is ok. I don't see how I went backwards or wasted money in any way. I used what I had which the OP could be doing also. The sloppy brakes still slow my heavy Blaster down way faster than even a brand new stock brake pre 03.

I have been a member of dozens of Blaster forums since 97 or 98 and I still will admit I don't know everything about them because I haven't tried/seen everything. Obviously you have seen it and done it all or you just can't admit that you don't know. Just because someone says something is a bad idea or it can't be done doesn't mean it is bad or it can't be done.

He only asked if it would work and you have only just given him your opinion.

dually now has my old rad carrier, that took me 2 seasons to trash, he may have it welded up similar to the ebay link, to run on his dragger, if it saves any weight ??

the ears that bolt to the swingarm get worn and the carrier tube starts floating around in them,
2 snapped chains later i finally figured out why.

there are 2 types of rad carriers, an older octagon shaped carrier tube, and the new round tube style i have now, like the round tube seen in that ebay link.
i'd say that is exactly why that ebay carrier is welded, same sloppy tube to ears wear that mine developed.

the older octagon style had "blaster & rad" engraved into it.....
2e2ge89.jpg

the newer round tube style i have now does not, but it is indeed a rad carrier, as the new bearings that came with it were in a sealed package with a "rad mfg" decal in it..............

2licw44.jpg

if you ask me, now that i've had both styles of rad carriers for the 88-02 blaster, i'd say that ebay link is also a rad carrier, identical to the newer style round tube i have now.
wonder how long this one will last me ?

if someone else was/is producing an exact replica of the rad carrier, i am unaware of it

I know another company made or makes a carrier like that one. I just can't remember the name since its been years. Every single one of their carriers are machined even under the Magnum name. I don't see why they would only have one like that. Can I ask did you buy it from them or another company?

i bought both carriers used, the first octagon shaped one from ebay, and my current one from a member here.
when the first carrier imploded, i called rad mfg. and described the carrier and what had happened, they told me that octagon one was so old they didn't even have replacement parts (ears) for it, or they would have sent me a set.

a quick google for "magnum carriers" comes back as magnum rad carriers........
http://www.magnumdistributing.com/catalogs/2013%20Magnum%20Catalog%20PDF/2%20-%202013%20-%20ATV/29%20-%20ATV%20Carriers.pdf

looks like lonestar and RPM may have also made blaster carriers at one time too ?
an RPM carrier sounds familiar ?

He asked about a RAD carrier in another thread. You said they are bad and said here look at this one. There was an ebay link to a carrier that is clearly not a RAD carrier. I can't remember what brand that was.

I had a 02 style Dominator I bought in 98 or 99. Then a RAD carrier in 00 or 01. Then a 03 blaster in 04/05 just to part out and get payed to use the frame and brakes. (That was my 6th or 7th Blaster by then. Currently just have #5 and #6) Didn't see a reason to sell the axle just to loose money and buy a new RPM when I could take an hour to make some mounts. My brake pads always wear normal and tons of people have floating/floating so we know that is ok. I don't see how I went backwards or wasted money in any way. I used what I had which the OP could be doing also. The sloppy brakes still slow my heavy Blaster down way faster than even a brand new stock brake pre 03.

I have been a member of dozens of Blaster forums since 97 or 98 and I still will admit I don't know everything about them because I haven't tried/seen everything. Obviously you have seen it and done it all or you just can't admit that you don't know. Just because someone says something is a bad idea or it can't be done doesn't mean it is bad or it can't be done.

He only asked if it would work and you have only just given him your opinion.

That link I posted is a rad carrier.Name another company that makes an aftermarket aluminum carrier!!! Let me put it like this to you.Tke the 88-02 axle setup in an 88-02 style axle hardware and remove your rear brake caliper and tell me how long the axle stays in the carrier. Now try it with an 03-06 axle,remove caliper and see how long it stays in the carrier.Which one wins? Fact of the matter is you are relying on the caliper and 2 small runner seals and clips to hold your axle in.Why would anyone go that route and allow all that play in the rear axle?Ill admit anything if I was wrong but you can't prove me wrong and again just a dumb method all together.

As you stated" Just because someone says something is a bad idea or it can't be done doesn't mean it is bad or it can't be done"

On a forum you need to choose your words wisely.If people tell him it works and he goes and buys an axle and has trouble fabbing up parts to make a sh*tty design work and then comes in here complaining it doesn't work who are you going to blame? I have put enough info in this thread for any person to understand its a sh*tty idea.Do what you want to but hacking together an already sh*tty design is not a god idea.Maybe you should admit it is a suck idea and design and only a moron would do it.