race suspension set up

joedirt5724

Mar 2, 2009
westmoreland, ny
i need all info i can get. I wanna set up my blaster for racing and jumps. I think ive got the engine pretty much good, but i need to know about suspension. I have no idea what i should do for shocks swinger, arms, gears all that crap. So i really need to get a good idea on how much this is gunna be and what i need for parts based on what u think i should use. Any info is appreciated.

small tight tracks or large open

how much to spend also

Example wheel spacer vs rear axle and a arms
mod you own swinger at least +3, buy one, or round house is nice but $$$
long travel shocks, yzf, 400ex, or after market$$
Stearing dampner

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/yamaha/projectblasterpt2.htm
The Bottom Line
blasterproj2vid.gif

wmv 8.63 MB

wmv 3.09 MB

The stock Blaster is an entry-level sport machine. If you want to get serious with your racing, the Blaster needs serious upgrades. Our project Blaster has been transformed into a serious racer for the intermediate level rider. We accomplished this while spending only a few hundred more dollars then some long travel A-arm/suspension packages alone!
Besides the improvement in performance, all of the components used in this stage go a long way in increasing your machines reliability. The Dura Blue axle and Burgard chassis parts are quite a bit stronger then stock and the Works shocks do an excellent job of keeping both man and machine protected from the harsh realities of a motocross track.
With all of the bolt-ons from stage 1, combined with the chassis and suspension upgrades from stage2 our Blaster is now quite a capable performer. If you want to win at the nationals though, it’s going to take a total package. The only stone left unturned is internals of the motor. Make sure you check back for stage 3 as we try and gain the necessary power to lead from holeshot to the checkered flag.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stock[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stage 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stage 2[/FONT]
blasprojleftstck04sm.jpg

blasprojleftmod04sm.jpg

blasterproj2sidesm.jpg
In an effort to increase our machine's straight line stability, we increased its wheelbase three inches overall. Burgard Cycle helped us achieved this with their +1" forward A-arms and +2" swing arm.
blasterprojrearstocksm.jpg
blasprorear04sm.jpg
blasterproj2rearsm.jpg
To widen the rear of our machine, we installed a Dura Blue Eliminator +3" axle. As you can see in our before and after pictures, it makes a huge difference in the machine's stance. The Dura Blue axle is also far stronger than stock and should hold up a lot better to the rigors of motocross racing.

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/yamaha/projectblasterpt2.htm

i heard them swingers crack up front on the pivot point. Idk if i wanna spend the 228 on a swinger, not if i can extend mine. ive got to think about it. But deff gotta go with the +4???

you dont need to go +4.. +3 and since your in ny $45 shipped... for the 400ex shock

The perfect length for a swing arm is +2, or +3. As for a-arms there are lots of choices. Burgard is a common one and ive good things about them. For an axle i would get a g-force. I personally like the g-force better than the durablue. For some shocks, once again there are lots of choices. You got yfz450 shocks, raptor 700r shocks, works, elkas, ect. IMO i like works the best. Get the valved for you weight and youll be good to go. Also get a steering stabilizer. Ive never had one, but ive heard they are great and i have yet to try one. Last but not least, feel comfortable! Get some bars with a good bend that suits you. If you want get a longer steering stem too. After that you should be good to go.
-Brett

bars are like 70 bucks or so a-arms are around 400 or so works front shocks i think are around 450? 400ex rear is like $45 from me and a swinger is around 200 plus nerfs but you said your geting some anyway

Works or elkas all around is the way to go but pricey.extended a-arms,+3 swinger,steering stabilizer,and depending on your weight and height maybe an extended stem.The banshee stem works well and is +2 you just need to have it machined down on one end.