powder coating

powder guns do not cost a ton as long as you're not doing production level powder coating.

Error Submission Form

They sell a decent powder coating gun with positive reviews for $99.

Original Hotcoat Powder Coating Gun - Powder Coating Gun - Powder Coat Original

that is correct. i have about 200.00 in my gun, 100.00 in a used double oven and i all ready had a blast cabinet. powders only about 15.00 a pound. i got tired of every time i wanted something powdered it started at 30.00 for a small part by the time you paid for the service and shipping and it went up from there. i havent ran into any quality issues. it looks and performs as good as it did when i had a company do it. all my pics turned out like poop so i will retake them tomorrow and post them.

I've been kicking the idea of this around but just dont know if I want the hassle of a garage oven and stuff. Cuz im pretty sure my mom wouldn't like the idea of me using the kitchen oven for it.

Seems I've heard you don't want to use an oven for food after powder :eek:
Can get one off CL for next to nothing. They also have lights to "bake" powder.

DO NOT USE AN OVEN YOU'VE USED FOR POWDER FOR FOOD EVER AGAIN.

The powder gets into the convection circuit and it will taint the oven forever. All your food will taste like plastic...

That being said, a food oven works VERY well for powder coating as long as what you want to powder coat will fit inside. The guts from a standard kitchen oven will make a slightly larger powder coating oven if you have the ability to build a square insulated box around the oven heating unit and can mount the guts out of the control box into the front panel of the box you make. A "standard" oven can make a powder oven about 9 cu feet (pretty much in any dimension you can think of) which is enough to pretty much get anything smaller than a whole blaster frame inside of....

Any larger oven size and you need two heating elements to get it up to about 400 deg F and hold it there long enough for the powder to "flow-out". That requires twice as much power and twice as much heat.... parts larger than a household oven may actually be economical to ship off and have coated.

lmao, you hear the food critics raving about it these days.

Eastwood has dropped off in quality. The Hotcoat guns of yesteryear, about 2 years ago were much higher quality. I ordered a new gun to replace my old one and the new one leaks powder. They replaced the gun no cost to me but the 2nd gun still leaks. I think the QC department needs to get on top of things, because I'm not the only person who seems to have this problem. Once I figure out a solution to this problem I'll post up for all those interested.

Household ovens also work great for the thermo-cleaning method. But your oven has to have the self clean ability. Works great for truck engine parts. You clean the part up best you can then, coat it with your choice of thermo cleaning solvent, pop her in thee oven and flip her on self clean. The self clean function is needed because to get the level of clean needed, you need temps around 600-800 degrees. Most self cleaning ovens will reach 800-900 degrees at a point during the self clean process. The works best with cast iron, but can work great with aluminum too. Cast iron will need no monitering, but aluminum should not be exposed to the high temps for the whole length of the self clean process, becasue aluminum can soften if exposed to super high heat for extended periods of time.

This method can get even the ditiest, sludgiest of mess of your engine and have it looking like new again.