pouring out the overflow

pistachio

Dec 15, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hi i have a stock 01 blaster just got it and once i get it started it starts pissing out gas of the overflow. I know my basics so i took the cover off the float part of the carb and sprayed it out with cleaner. Everything seems to work pretty freely. Once i put the bike back together it started again. Is there any other ideas what this may be?

it sounds like a leaky needle and seat. make sure that your float is also free of any cracks or anything like that. it may also need a float level adjustment

My floats like to stick from time to time too. I just use the handle of a screwdriver and tap on the carb's float bowl a few times to fix the problem. Turn the gas valve off, then tap a few times, turn the gas valve back on, count to 15 and if no more leaking....then you're good to go.

It always kind of bothered me that this kept happening until recently when I changed my thinking about it. Now I don't mind it because even though I try and burn off what's left in the bowl before it goes back in the garage for weeks at a time, I like having any old and/or separated fuel drained out of the carb for my initial start up. More of a 'glass half full aproach' I suppose.

There is a sticky somewhere "Almost free carb repair", or something like that, basically take a Q-tip and tooth paste and clean the float needle seat. I did it and you would be amazed at the gunck that ends up on the Q. If the float needle isn't bad (grooved/cracked) this may help.