Please Help!!

fordit99

Sep 29, 2013
Hello. I just recently purchased a 98 blaster for my son. I am currently having some problems with it. It came from a young kid who apparently thought he was a mechanic. When I first got it it would not fire so I replaced the coil, cdi, voltage regulator and just replaced the entire wiring harness. It is now firing but will not stay running. Someone has cut out the tors and took the oil tank off. They have also replaced the stock carb with an OKO 30mm. We believe we have it narrowed down to a carb issue. I do not know anything about these carbs and was wondering if anybody could give some common porblems to look for or any helpful advice as it would be greatly appreciated. My son is ready to ride and I dont know what else to do lol. The bike has great compression and will only run for a couple of seconds.

Compression checked good and no leaks. It still will not stay running. I don't know what else to try

I built a leak tester according to the post on here. It maintained pressure accordingly. Compression is 130-135

I built a leak tester according to the post on here. It maintained pressure accordingly. Compression is 130-135

Sweet. So now we need to know what mods it has. Does it have an aftermarket exhaust on it? Open airbox?

What is the current jetting? How many turns out is the air screw. Does it run better with the choke on? Are the reeds sealing shut? Please include as much info as possible in your next post so we can better help you.

I just recently got it so not sure on everything. I know it has dc exhaust, an Oki 30mm carb, airbox lid is drilled. I am not sure on the jetting. Screw is two turns out. And it does not stay running but about 3 seconds regardless of choke. I don't know what to try. I'm kinda in the dark as the kid I bought it from knew nothing about it. He said it was recently rebuilt using namaru parts and it has a k&n air filter as well. Also someone has done kind of a hack job removing oil injection

I just recently got it so not sure on everything. I know it has dc exhaust, an Oki 30mm carb, airbox lid is drilled. I am not sure on the jetting. Screw is two turns out. And it does not stay running but about 3 seconds regardless of choke. I don't know what to try. I'm kinda in the dark as the kid I bought it from knew nothing about it. He said it was recently rebuilt using namaru parts and it has a k&n air filter as well. Also someone has done kind of a hack job removing oil injection

I'm not very familiar with the oko carb. I would guess you should have at least a 48 or 50 pilot jet, 155-160 main jet and a cel needle in middle slot. You need to inspect the reeds too.

OKO carbs are great but the jets can get cloged fairly easily if you have fuel sitting in the carb or simply dont do regular maintence and clean them. By from what im hearing it sounds that the previous owner dident. If i were you id take off the carb and reeds and look at them if the reeds are sitting flush on both sides their probably fine if you have the time to clean the jets this is how you do it.

Take the four screws out of the bottom (with the carb out of the bike obviously) with the bottom of the bowl off take a 6mm wrentch and take off the center jet and take fome fine grit sand paper and lightly rough it up to see what the numbers on the jet are if there dark and dingy and hard to read. Also find a bread twist tie and strip the paper off so that you can stick it in the hole so that you can clean it out if there's any built up gunk. also take out the other brass jet and do the same thing the bread tie really becomes valuable cause its the only thing small enough to get into the holes in the side of the pilot jet and down the middle of it. there's probably gonna be some gunk in there so take your carb cleaner and give a few passes in the side holes and the center and floss the holes again for good measure.

Then all you should have to do is re assemble and re-install also when you take the jets out tell us what the numbers are the piolet jet the small one should be arround 42-50 and the main jet the big one in the center should be arround 138-148.

Now heres a secret about these carbs they like lots of air and top end exhaust pipes and carbon fiber reeds so take the air box lid off. I know cause i got one with a toomey pipe and Boyesen Pro Series Reeds and it takes off like a rocket without any porting or head mods.

If the exhaust pipe is a DG which is the worst pipe you can pun on a blaster(cause its like a chrome stock pipe) it needs a different one I would recomend a DMC alien or a toomey B1 a dmc is for power in low-mid and a toomey is for power in mid-high
hope this helps

Ok jets are 148 main and 48 pilot. I think I found the problem though. Not thinking about it before I pulled the reed cage out today and found that one of the petals was completely broken off and resting in the intake. Glad I found it before getting it started. Nothing got into cylinder because reed was whole. Could this have been my problem all along

Ok. What are some good inexpensive reeds? Don't have a whole lot of money to throw at it right now. And I appreciate all the help guys. My sons gonna be ecstatic to get it goin

yep the boyesens are arround $45 shipped on ebay and in store most places charge $56 and the boyesen PSR (pro series reeds) are great they really made my blaster wake up after cleaning the carb and adding those. the other popular option is a set of VForce 3 or 4 reeds which are usally arround $150 give or take $10

The best bang for your buck is a set of dual stage reeds, they really make for a very snappy throttle response.

If you have the ready cash VF4s will too surprise you.

Ok so I am in desperate need of a stock reed cage for a reasonable price. Apparently the idiot I bought my blaster from lost a lot of parts. Any suggestions would be great.

my sudjestion is to search ebay and find one for cheap and a set of reed petals with it dont get sucked into buying anything other than Boyesen PSR reeds when putting reeds into a stock reed cage their all pretty similar except the forementioned (the reed petal packs) just the cage with some crappy petals is gonna be like 20 somethin my best guess something with read deal reeds on line is gonna be arround $60-100 here's a coupple ebay links for ya good luck

just the reeds
Yamaha Blaster Dual Pedal Reeds | eBay

Yamaha Blaster 200 1988 06 Boyesen Pro Series Carbon Reeds Pro 85 YZ80 87 92 | eBay

just the cage
Yamaha Blaster 200cc ATV Reed Valve V Force 3 | eBay
V Force 4 Moto Tassinari Delta Reed Valve System Blaster YFS200 88 06 | eBay
or this deal from a member here a boyesen rad valve reeds for $70 im sure he's eager to get rid of them to a loving home :D
http://www.blasterforum.com/sale-18/boyessen-rad-valve-56324/

Last edited by a moderator: