Ping or Thump? Tight woods...

but 400's DO run this track- there are differant classes I:I

The way i see it, i was once unbiased :D Having rode a blaster vs a 4 stroke i chose the 4 stroke.

whatever works i guess

To the OP (this IS the Honda section lol)- each to his own-

but you've had the 2 stroke- you have the 4. Which seems to be your favorite- handeling wise, and power-wise? If it's a question of reliability- the 400 is a good mix or reliability and power, while the 450's are generally known more for power than reliability.
The blaster is a fun quad- don't get me wrong- it can keep up, but its a struggle. (In my opinion)

To the OP (this IS the Honda section lol)- each to his own-

but you've had the 2 stroke- you have the 4. Which seems to be your favorite- handeling wise, and power-wise? If it's a question of reliability- the 400 is a good mix or reliability and power, while the 450's are generally known more for power than reliability.
The blaster is a fun quad- don't get me wrong- it can keep up, but its a struggle. (In my opinion)

Egad! I am a dumb arse! I didn't see this was the Honda section.
Sorry for intruding and stirring it up.

True enough about a stock Blaster, but for most of us a Blaster is so easy to evolve into something a 400ex can never be. Fast and light.

The 400 is a reliable machine, most of the 450s not so much.
When I first took my son's stock Blaster for a spin I felt:
"I like the lightness, better than the Raptor, this thing has potential"
The stock power was pretty pathetic and the ride bouncy.

I can assure you my Blaster can do more than keep up.
It is kind of cheating that I have a KTM engine in it, but Triplecrown's Blaster is nearly as fast.
I can run with the 450s easily enough.

Handling wise, the Raptor had a fair suspension, as good as the 400ex, better than a Banshee, but not as good as any 450 I have taken for a spin.
The Blaster is pretty much at the bottom of the heap but can be improved inexpensively.
The poor shocks and travel is made up for by the light weight.

I like the traction that 4 strokes have, but to trade it for weight, not fun.
I like Dksix's comments about the 400ex being better for slower going.
That is my view too.

Steve

Honestly, the 400EX is a much better handling machine than my old blaster. The chassis is based directly off the 250R. I have the earlier body style which does not have reverse and weighs about ten pounds less, but I can throw it around with one hand the weight is no problem and it has the same turning radius if not better. I dont have the money to mod a blaster to make it wide enough, long enough and have enough power in the right powerband for the woods. The 400 seemed to already have all these features and Im not the least bit bored with the power other than I prefer a two stroke hit and a lighter feel. Im not really considering a blaster again but the only two stroke Im looking at is a 250R. I would take either the quad or trike 83-up. But an honest assesment of the two bikes (400EX or blaster) in the way I ride, I would much prefer the 400 mostly because of ergonomics and handling. But it has seemingly monstrous low end torque, reminds me of a Cummins lol. But I agree, my DG pipe sucks and Its wayyy too loud. Much much louder than my blaster full FMF. Ill prolly try to get another slip on that will fit the DG headpipe. I caught it on fire today because I tried steel wool as packing.

Honestly, the 400EX is a much better handling machine than my old blaster. The chassis is based directly off the 250R. I have the earlier body style which does not have reverse and weighs about ten pounds less, but I can throw it around with one hand the weight is no problem and it has the same turning radius if not better. I dont have the money to mod a blaster to make it wide enough, long enough and have enough power in the right powerband for the woods. The 400 seemed to already have all these features and Im not the least bit bored with the power other than I prefer a two stroke hit and a lighter feel.<SOME SNIPPED>

Honestly?
More width does not make or help a trail machine.
10 pounds less is still more than 50 lbs of excess weight.

I will agree, the 400 torque as it comes stock is vastly superior to the stock Blaster.
If you cannot figure out how to get the hidden 30+ hp out of a Blaster,
or ride to take advantage of the minimal weight, a 400ex would certainly seem like the better machine.

I cannot agree with cost being a factor, as buying and modding a Blaster is still half the price of buying a 400ex in my area.

I dont have the money to mod a blaster to make it wide enough, long enough and have enough power in the right powerband for the woods.

I sold/traded my 02 400ex for $1800 and a 586 S&W 4" .357. I traded the 586 for my 04 Blaster, needing a topend. I could have spent half of the $1800 and had a Blaster that would do everything better that the very nice 400ex I got rid of. For $75 or less (I bought mine on ebay for $46 shipped), the Blaster can have the 400ex rear shock. I've got a $40 set of front Banshee shocks on my Blaster and the front is much better than the 400ex (even EX riders say the front shocks are crap). $110 for a Wiseco topend, $160 for a KOR port job, $60 for a KOR head mod, $300 for an exhaust system and a $100 for a 28mm carb. When I think of trails, wider, longer and heavier are not advantages but the power the Blaster will be making after those mods, a 3 or 4 inches more of swingarm will probably be necessary.

I do miss my old blaster. I just couldnt afford a arms, axle, Works shocks, KOR porting, extended swingarm, etc. Yes I know that usually a modded blaster is the economical solution because two strokes are so easy to gain hp. Honestly if I could put a ported, hemi head blaster engine in my 400ex I would. Im not obsessed with having a hell of alot of power but when I got this bike I was lookin at the handling. Yes it weighs alot more than a blaster but I hardly notice it when riding and its no trouble to load in a truck bed by myself either. Unless you just dont have much muscle mass I see no problem with a quad that weighs 375 pounds as long as it carries its weight and handles very neutral. I wouldnt think anybody should have trouble with that kind of weight but then again I was starting defensive end in football and have multiple records at my old highschool for weight lifting. I have trophies and plaques for weight meets as well. Im not bragging but I honestly dont think the 400 is that heavy. This was between a 400EX and 250R anyway, any was posted in the honda section. I wasnt comparing it to blasters in the first place.

I bought my blaster for $1500 and traded even for a 400EX. It didnt cost me any more for me to own a 400EX so for me it was cheaper and it now opens the door for a trade on a 250R. Most 250R owners do not want a smaller air cooled two stroke as it is a step down from their quad. Many in my area are looking for 400-450 class four strokes. This is not meant to be my permanent bike because I eventually want an R. I only wanted to know what you would prefer as a trail bike between them two only.