NEW HERE Advise Please!!

Ny J MoTTz

Oct 21, 2011
New York 10309
hello new member here..

This is hard to believe but i swear this is TRUE 100% lol.. i just picked up a 1997 Yamaha blaster bone stock with only 15 minutes run time on the original engine.. my cousin bought this quad in 97 from the dealer where i live on Staten island for his girlfriend(at the time)to ride with him because he had a banshee.. anyway he bought it and the day he got it she drove it in the street for about 10-15 minutes then they put it in the garage and NEVER took it out again.. its been sitting in the garage since 97 and today i finally convinced him to give it to me so i can enjoy it instead of letting it sit another 10 years without being used.. while its been sitting my cousin did in fact remove the gas and have the switch in the off position.. now i have it in my garage what steps should i take before trying to start this.. should i take off the carb and check anything or should i go ahead and just add fresh gas clean oil and give it a-go? REMEMBER its been sitting since 97 so i would like some advise before i mess anything up

This bike is in 100% MINT condition tires plastic everything is mint still has all the original warning stickers even the year sticker thats how fresh this atv is.. i was wondering if i was to sell this how much i would ask or how much i could ask..

thanks in advance for those who helpI:I

check out my pictures.. this was when it was in his garage !!

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 153
if it was me i would prolly pull the carb off and give it a cleaning anyway, possibly a carb rebuild. change the fluids and throw some fresh gas in and go from there.

if it was me i would prolly pull the carb off and give it a cleaning anyway, possibly a carb rebuild. change the fluids and throw some fresh gas in and go from there.

thanks man appreciated the advise! any idea how much this bikes worth i no its a 97 buts its brand new lol i got the original bill of sale title 2 keys manual and fix it yourself manual

I would pull the carb and just check it for trash. but it should be clean unless he didn't drain the bowl on the carb. change the oil. fresh plug. I would possibly put a little mixed gas down the spark plug hole. oh wait you still have the oil injection probably. make sure it is primed.

I agree 1500 bux,,if it was a 2003+ it would be worth more because of the Hydro brake set up.

here is some more pictures of my new toy..:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 168
deff drain all fluids ,new plug ,clean carb good if gonna run the injector prime it maybe? never delt with one be the first thing i rip off that and some fresh gas for sure

i dont wana start mixing the gas and oil i did have a 03 blaster that was worked(i bought it like that) that you had to mix the gas and oil i wana keep this bike mostly stock only looking to get new rear tires(hole shots) an paint the rims black and centers yellow to match the bike and maybe a pipe but i relle dont care about the pipe.. i just wana get it started first so im guessing everything should be fine just remove the carb and check it out? thats my biggest problem if its a problem correct? everything else should be fine after fresh gas oil change and oiling the little things up and new spark plug?

**if you or any of your friends are looking for a fresh bike i may consider selling it im located in staten island ny an would take 1300 for it lol

Last edited:
no, no, no
you can't have your cousin give you a brand new bike, then turn around and sale it for a profit, he might as well handed you $1500 cash, or bought you new ghetto rims for your truck and kept the bike in his garage
thats a dirty move in my book

clean carb,and i'm not sure how, but your gonna need to make sure that oil injection is primed and pumping oil into the carb, or your gonna fry it and cut it's "dirty sale" worth in half

no, no, no
you can't have your cousin give you a brand new bike, then turn around and sale it for a profit, he might as well handed you $1500 cash, or bought you new ghetto rims for your truck and kept the bike in his garage
thats a dirty move in my book

clean carb,and i'm not sure how, but your gonna need to make sure that oil injection is primed and pumping oil into the carb, or your gonna fry it and cut it's "dirty sale" worth in half

haha no he wouldnt care at all but nahh im deff keeping this bike for the time being- last year new york got hit with a blizzard and i hope we get hit with a lot of snow this year as well to have some blaster fun haha.. i cant wait to get this baby started this week .. what you think of the bike as of the color and style condition etc?

haha no he wouldnt care at all but nahh im deff keeping this bike for the time being- last year new york got hit with a blizzard and i hope we get hit with a lot of snow this year as well to have some blaster fun haha.. i cant wait to get this baby started this week .. what you think of the bike as of the color and style condition etc?

condition goes without saying, it's a brand new, but still just a stock blaster
and i can remember when most yamaha dirt machines were yellow, not like the rainbow of skittles colors that happened in the 90's
all yamaha's should be yellow, period, honda's red, kawi's green and zukis'.........well they shoulda been brown, hahahaaaa

thats cool as hell man, the paint isnt even worn off anywheres, nice score!! I:II:I

Thanks man appreciate it a bunch !! now i needa get it started !! are there any DIY videos or any way i can figure out how to remove the carb from my exact bike bc im new to this whole game here.. i had a blaster b4 that was worked never touched it in anyway shape or form then sold it .. now i gotta get this carb off and cleaned an i dont know where to start:-/

thanks for the help!!

thanks man appreciated the advise! any idea how much this bikes worth i no its a 97 buts its brand new lol i got the original bill of sale title 2 keys manual and fix it yourself manual

I wouldent sell it period but if you were you could get an easy $1000 out of a stock blaster with no problems. But if it were me and I hadto sell it I'd put say $1,300 take care of it not dent the front bumber and let it sit pretty and let all the guys oogle it.(shrug)

All the above and make sure your brakes work good before you jump on it and ride. If he just gave it to you, it would be low to sell it.