my story

89blaster89

Aug 26, 2011
Pacific northwest, washington
ok so i got my blaster back in august with the mods that are in my signiture and it runs real good and last time i rode it slowly in like first gear i heard a little bit of a knocking sound it comes and goes depending on the rpms so i posted it and some people thought i was justing runnin it a little bit to lean wich i kinda was (i normally run 32/1 but i ran about 15 ml more oil this time not thinking it would really matter) also im running a 360 jet with the needle on groove 2 i think and the e-clip in. so i was just gonna do a compression check on it to check for leaks or anything and maybe a leak down test. so when i get around to it im going to drain all the gas outta my blasty and put my old 32/1 mixture back in and do a plug chop so when i do the chop if its paper bag color should i just leave the 360 jet in or change over to 300 or so? and also the knock was only like 2 knocks so im not sure if it was a knock of if it was just a normal blaster sound...

If you are lean that means your air/fuel ratio is incorrect , not your oil/fuel ratio . Running lean comes from air leaks , or adding/modding the engine without re-jetting the carb . You can run a blaster at 32:1 or 40:1 or 50:1 etc... Too small of a main jet will give you a lean condition , too large will give you a rich condition .

Run-on sentence much? I run a 260 with FMF fatty, how about you do a leak down and then plug chop(if you pass the leak down) and then report back.

If you added more oil to the mix you most certainly would have been running at least one jet size on the lean side.

Add more oil = less fuel (lean).

In my experience the low/mid pipes like the Fatty like the needle on a lower clip than second from the top, at least on the middle one.

If it is knocking with a #360 main jet, I would suspect that it is sucking air somewhere, it would pay to do a leak down test.

It should only need #290 to #300 main.

I have more mods than you and run a 310 that is more than rich. As mentioned you most likely have an air leak. As much as you've been on here you should have known and already done a leak down test. At this point it wouldn't matter (to me at least) what the plug chop says, you have more than enough info and suggestions that something is wrong. I wouldn't run it till you fix it. Odds are that a small air leak could suddenly develope into a large leak and melt your top end. Then you will fix the air leak, along with a whole lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 8-|X(

I have more mods than you and run a 310 that is more than rich. As mentioned you most likely have an air leak. As much as you've been on here you should have known and already done a leak down test. At this point it wouldn't matter (to me at least) what the plug chop says, you have more than enough info and suggestions that something is wrong. I wouldn't run it till you fix it. Odds are that a small air leak could suddenly develope into a large leak and melt your top end. Then you will fix the air leak, along with a whole lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 8-|X(

yea im going to do a leak down, compression test and a plug chop and if all those check out good then should i switch it over to a 280 or so then do another plug chop?

ok so im about to order a 280, 290, 300 jet sizes plus a few spark plugs those should be about the right sizes for my mods right?? anything else i should get just say and also when i take the plug out from the 360 jet i currently have in if its the right color should i still put in the other size jets then do another plug chop? do i need to do anything with the air screw or what groove the needle is on?

Firsty do that leak down test

We can take it from there if it passes.

Next, please keep to one thread with all the questions, it is so frustrating chasing you all over the place.

Firsty do that leak down test

We can take it from there if it passes.

Next, please keep to one thread with all the questions, it is so frustrating chasing you all over the place.

ok sorry bout that and by passes you mean no leak right. im just trying to get all the info and things i need to do at once because my blasty isint with me its at a storage unit right now but ok yes ill do the leak down and if theres no leak then ill just put in the 290 jet or so and then should i do anything with the aftermarket needle or clip? and the pilot jet is on the 3rd groove right now.

Get it out of storage , do a leak down test, if it holds 7psi for 10 mins, report back and we can take it from there.