My recent "builds"

I forgot to post the final pics of my columns, so here ya go
IMG_20150304_134112508.jpg
IMG_20150304_134121591_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150304_134313396_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150304_134322883_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150304_134346215.jpg

Been re-decking decks the past couple weeks. Gonna use the old boards to build a coffee table and end tables for my new place, and also a dining table with deck board base and wormy chestnut top, and 2 old wormy chestnut mantels as benches. Gotta let the deck boards dry out awhile first though so it probably won't be til summer.

Reactions: Awk08
real nice work on the columns Tony !

Hope they aren't wolmanized
Why, whats up with wolmanized? I know some types of treated wood don't have great chemicals in them. 6 or 7 years back I had to rip about 25 2x6x8 on a 45, both edges. I had to quit halfway through and get a mask, but hey it was a free buzz:eek: I'm gonna let these boards dry for a month or 2 and they will be fully sealed when built. The surface is very rough, so the table tops will be epoxy, and the legs,etc will poly'd. I gotta get me a planer though to save me so much sanding. A couple minutes of sanding on the high spots gives it a cool look so a planer will do the job faster/easier. I'll put a pic up tomorrow of my test samples I did tonight to show the old lady.

Looks awesome. Also seems like you have a lot of land to rip around on. I'm hoping to buy another house this summer with more land. Gotta get off this 2 acre property.

Thanks awk, pretty proud of em
Also seems like you have a lot of land to rip around on
I wish I did, those columns are at a job, they got 12 acres on a mountain top. There's also lots of horsepasture and horse trails around there. Wish I could ride it. I live in a decent size neighborhood, and the cops are never around so I can ride a good bit around here. Here's my neighborhood
area.JPG

Blue dot is where I live now, blue box where I'm buying, red lines are where I normally ride around here. I could prob ride in that area north of me 2, others do, but its heavier population so I usually don't. Mostly I just go between here and my shop lol. Pretty much everything s and e is nat forest and I cant ride it:(

Great job on those columns, I love doing stone. Like putting a puzzle together without the picture.
Thanks, honestly I hate stone work, its a pita. Makes me feel good to see it done though.

If the lumber was produced before 2003, it most likely has (basically) copper arsenic in it.
I don't think that will hurt anything, except maybe me working with it. It will be sealed all the way around before use

Here's a pic of my sample boards. The old lady likes it, so I will be making us some furniture, after I let em dry for awhile. I really like the epoxy look, but don't really wanna go through the work of putting it on the legs/bases for the tables, maybe I will. I just used up some epoxy that I had in the shop, so its kinda thin in places. Like I said I think I will run em through a planer to take a little more off to bring out the color more. Its hard to get good pics of em, dont have good enough lighting. The poly board only has one thick coat of satin, a couple more would probably make a difference.
IMG_20150317_230837883_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150318_181020401.jpg
IMG_20150318_181004631.jpg

Figured I'd show you guys what I've been up to lately. The last month we've been working on "painting" a house and a bathroom remodel, depending on the weather. I put painting in quotes, because out of our crew of 4, 2 of us were doing repairs almost the entire time we were there. Here was one repair that was a pita.
IMG_20150421_143138749.jpg

IMG_20150421_141304264.jpg

They didn't nail the hangers for the girders that support all the joists! Bad part is that last joist was added just a few years ago, because they cut back the deckboards to install flashing against the house for the home inspection. If only they had thrown some nails in and saved me alot of trouble. Most of the other repairs were siding/ sheathing. They had cedar siding and no housewrap. You can guess any place the cedar was showing rot, behind it the sheating was just about gone. They got lucky though, there weren't any framing issues yet.

So the job we started at the end of last week, is jacking up a deck. It had dropped 6" at one outside corner!
IMG_20150423_1554322992.jpg

You can really see the slope with our temporary support beam up. Triple 2x12x18 yellow pine, me and that guy put that up buy ourselves, using some redneck engineering, and a come-a-long.
IMG_20150423_1554582872.jpg

The first column as we started digging it out.
IMG_20150424_114108543_HDR2.jpg

Here it is pulled up, the tube ran through the footer with no connection to it. Wonder why it sank?:confused: lol And the tube came to a nice point at the bottom. Notice the blocks of wood on each side, part of my redneck footer puller!
IMG_20150424_123702877_HDR2.jpg

There's the footer for it, 2 wacks with my bfh and it was in pieces. Found 3 pieces of rebar about 18" long in the dirt under it.
IMG_20150421_193626104.jpg
Yeah thats the bfh!!:eek:
IMG_20150427_1109455672.jpg

That was the 2nd one, the veneer slid down while we were working on it, scared the $#it outta me. You can see more of my footer puller there. Used a bottle jack and went up 6 inches at a time. When we first started, the 6x6 across bowed pretty good until the footer broke loose.
IMG_20150427_150453232_HDR2.jpg

This is where we were and of day today, gotta get rebar in and pour 3 new footers in the morning. Gonna pour solid footers with rebar sticking up 4', then lay 16" flue block up to height, and pour em solid with a saddle on top. Main reason for the failure (besides bad footers) was this section of deck is specifically for the hotub. They would've had a water slide down the mountain if they waited much longer! We've only lifted the deck a few inches so far. Gonna do an inch or 2 every day. I like to do a little at a time with big lifts like this to let things kind of settle and give for a little while. Amazingly the other 3 posts on this section are still where they are supposed to be