Mounting Brackets on a budget

Beaster_blaster

Oct 11, 2009
COLORADO
I have been asked how to make a mounting bracket thats easy to make, but cost efficient. my bike needed multiple fender mounts that were odd and unique to fit my raptor 660 fenders on. after making a "Ghetto rig special as anyone would call it with wire and a large washer" a day of ridding and it was trash...

Still wanting to not have to go buy a piece of steel stock and make a mount to work, with little tools at the time and not wanting to have to spend an arm and a leg to get the job done . I started to think stainless steel... mmm..mm.mm.m BUTTERKNIFE they dont rust and its the perfect size i need.

So i started to fab a butterknife thinking the worst in a few weeks .... and well to say the least it held up for a bit over a year of hard ridding. and have now used them about 6 times on 3 different bikes to replace old broken fender mounts. and i believe that the butterknife hold better since you can modify where it bolt up.

Has anyone done this before and i would love to hear some stories if you have them

Nope never used a butterknife, I've used hoodie strings, nylon rachet straps pieces, coat hangers, for trail repairs, I thing I may have to put a butterknife in the toolbox too!

Nope never used a butterknife, I've used hoodie strings, nylon rachet straps pieces, coat hangers, for trail repairs, I thing I may have to put a butterknife in the toolbox too!

I started to do the same keeping a set of old butterknifes from the kitchen drawer in the toolbox. they are 1$ for 6 at the local wal-mart. and as long as you have a good metal drill bit and a drill with you at camp you can fab a new fender mount in a few minutes.

I've used duct tape(PA special) and of course, Zip Ties. lol One time while I was out riding with my buddy, the right tie rod nut on the steering stem decided to come off because I forgot to put the cotter key in. So I was stuck like 2 miles from my house with an unridable quad. Well, that just didn't fly with me. lol So I took the electrical tape out of the tool box and twisted up about 3 feet of it or so and used it to tie the tie rod end in place and then I used the rest of the tape to tape the "rope" down to hold it all together. Worked the best. lol

I've used duct tape(PA special) and of course, Zip Ties. lol One time while I was out riding with my buddy, the right tie rod nut on the steering stem decided to come off because I forgot to put the cotter key in. So I was stuck like 2 miles from my house with an unridable quad. Well, that just didn't fly with me. lol So I took the electrical tape out of the tool box and twisted up about 3 feet of it or so and used it to tie the tie rod end in place and then I used the rest of the tape to tape the "rope" down to hold it all together. Worked the best. lol

lol thats a good mcgiver fix there. cotter pins are great to have in a ziplock in under the seat with the tool kit.

Yeah but they don't help much when you can't find the nut you lost. lol

Got a point there, but a great thing to do is invest in a tap an die set and retap all the bolt holes on your blaster to a set size/ thread count. yea it may be a larger bolt hole but uniformity helps you carry a few extra bolts in the tool box. that will mount anywhere across the bike. I have my bike down to 10 different bolt sizes and lengths. Im working toward a full allen head kit to replace the socket set and cut down on tools.