LT 250s Quad Sport

Sauce440

Apr 5, 2013
Michigan
went and picked her up today. 250 bucks. shes gonna need some work but hey,itll give me something to do! i have some questions because im not to familiar with 4 strokes. First off, it takes for ever to start it!! i have to kick so hard just to get it to fire. the guy say the valves were just adjusted but im not sure. second, there is a decompression lever,what is it for? when i start it up smoke starts coming from out behind of the spark plug. i think thats the decompression valve. im afraid to ask but how much would it cost to rebuild the whole motor? it has some get up and go when i took it around the yard a couple of times. i have more but ill let these get answered first. Thanks, Dylan
IMG_09871_zps349fae40.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket
IMG_09861_zpsbecc0b33.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket
IMG_09851_zpsd4113925.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket
IMG_09841_zps3627bac8.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket
IMG_09831_zps6c182307.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket
IMG_09821_zps03382568.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket
IMG_09811_zpsd8c84753.jpg Photo by Sauce440 | Photobucket

That looks like a good score for $250 bucks. First thing I would check in to is the carrier/swinger, iirc these things are known for getting out of adjustment then ruining the cases when the chain gets thrown. A full rebuild shouldn't be much more than a Blaster bc it is only a 2 valve and is relatively low performance. The compression release drops cylinder pressure to make starting easier, you should probably compression test the motor.

That's a great deal on that. The decompression lever is to make it easier to kick start. I would start with a good carb cleaning and fresh air filter. I would also check that the compression valve is not suck open or broke.

the carrier bearings are shot and out side of the carrier. i think the decompression valve is stuck open because i can push down the starter with my hand and you can hear it coming out somewhere. it kicks really easy.

I own a 1989 lt250s. The parts are few and far between, plastics are super fragile..and if the chain falls off it will break the magneto and it will cost you $200. I restored mine..and i don't even ride it cause im afraid something will break and cost me another $200 bucks.

i still havent started working on it. the parts are harder to find but i bought the thing for 250 so i cant complain.