LSR HOusing and Stock rear hub issue

sam0840

Aug 16, 2008
Hey guys,
Today I am finally buttoning things up on my rear end rebuild. I have a round housing rear bearing from LSR and the stock rear hub. I did the correct procedure for tightening the stock axle nuts but the hub seems to be rubbing on the bearing seal of the housing. its not bad and the quad rolls but i can hear it squeaking. I just don't want to wear out that seal. IS this normal did I do something wrong or am I missing a protective cover or something? I also could only back the inner nut off to about 140 ft/lbs not the recommended 170. there is no play in the hub. HELP! I DONT WANT TO DESTROY MY BRAND NEW HOUSING SEALS!

some pics would help ?

the seal has to ride on something for it to seal, and should have grease all over it from packing the carrier/bearings, or from greasing the carrier via a grease fitting until grease comes out the seal.

on the hub is a race where the seal normally should ride, is that going into the carrier too far with this set-up ?
did you use the bearing spacer tube ?

what axle is recommended for this carrier ?
what axle are you using ?
what brake hub is recommended for this carrier....pre 03 cable brake hub or 03+ hydro brake hub ?
and which are you using ?

pics will help us help you :)

i'll see if I can get some up here for you. I am also talking about the sprocket hub. To me it seem that the inner part of the hub goes in just fine but then there is a larger diameter part of the hub that seems to be rubbing on the outter part of the bearing seal. like its too tight or something or just slightly pushed into the carrier too much. I have a LSR swing arm with carrier and a LSR axle.so that should be fine. does that make sense?

Idk everything came preinstalled from LSR. I"ll take it apart and see if I can push it in further though. but it seems to be right where it should be according to some pictures i can pull up in the internet.

I was going to loosen it up and check everything out and go figure now I cant get the nuts off! ugh. I put medium thread locker on them. will PB take care of that?

I was going to loosen it up and check everything out and go figure now I cant get the nuts off! ugh. I put medium thread locker on them. will PB take care of that?

nope..... heat, use a propane torch.
heat just enuf to break the nuts loose, then cool with a wet rag to keep the heat from reaching the seal

Ok I'll try that. Awk any other ideas on why it might be rubbing? I didn't build any of the housing; it all came pre packed. so I'd assume that it should be fitting fine in the housing. it all looked good to me when i put it in the swing arm.

other than what phragle suggested .....seal not in far enuf ?
without a pic of your exact set-up is just stabs in the dark.

and i find it hard to believe, that an LSR roundhouse carrier with LSR axle uses the stock jamb nuts ?
no 3 piece nut like most other A/M axles ?

maybe a call to LSR with your conserns is in order ?

Ya I think thats what I am going to have to do. I got pics to work. Here's the best I can do since I can't get the nuts off right now.

I called LSR. Their customer service rep was very helpful by the way. anyways, they said that it shouldn't be a problem and just apply some grease to the seal and the hub. I shot it up real good with some white lithium grease and seems to be just fine now. we'll see after a few rides. but for now its' not binding up like it was and no more rubbing/squeaking sound.