light switch voltage

Arnold

Jun 29, 2012
Brattleboro, vt
Does anyone know what the voltage out put should be from the head light switch on the yellow and green wires at idle? I have checked the voltage into the switch, yellow/red wire has 10 volts when it is not connected to the switch and when it is connected to the switch it drops down to .5 volts. I have looked for the volt specs and all the manual says is what it should be at 5000 rpms. im waiting for my tach to come in from china.

Thanks

Arnold.

Does anyone know what the voltage out put should be from the head light switch on the yellow and green wires at idle? I have checked the voltage into the switch, yellow/red wire has 10 volts when it is not connected to the switch and when it is connected to the switch it drops down to .5 volts. I have looked for the volt specs and all the manual says is what it should be at 5000 rpms. im waiting for my tach to come in from china.

Thanks

Arnold.

no idea, but the 12v voltage regulator, shouldent allow it to go past 12v at any point or rpm

If the globe is switched into circuit the voltage at idle will drop drastically owing to resistance in the circuit.

Why do you need to know, is there something you wish to run at low engine speed?

Yeah i am trying to run my after market headlight that came on the blaster when I got it. the light will come on if I disconnect the switch and jump the yellow/red wire straight to the light, but when I connect the switch it wont light up at all, not even dim. the voltage on the input to the switch drops from 10v to .5v with the switch in the off, low and high position. at first I thought it was a bad switch so I got another one from someone on here and still the same thing.

Yeah I am aware of the, I have read the manual a few times. My question is is it normal for the input voltage on the yellow/red wire to go from 10v when not connected to the switch then drop down to .5v when it is connected to the switch. Oh n these readings are taken with engine at idle

if your lights are dimn do what i did and hook up the right one on low beam and left to high beam and they were way brighter than hooking both to high and both to low

Unless the switch is faulty or there is a short somewhere the voltage should not drop.

Connecting it to an open switch is the same as holding it in your hand, the voltage should not drop at either idle or any RPM.

If the globe is in circuit the voltage will drop because of the element resistance.

My guess is that the switch is grounding somewhere.

^^^^^^it might be but this is the second switch that i have tried so it could be possible that I have two bad switches, or maybe its a bad ground somewhere, I am going to rig it up for this weekend then try to trace the ground. I am going to be adding in some leds for the tail lights and under the plastic. Ill post some pics when I get it all hooked up.

I was having the same problem, 12v coming off the wire harness going to the switch but .5v coming off when the switch was in the on position. I found out that someone had connected the black and blue wires, that are in back for the tail light, together shorting out the circuit when going through the switch. Worth looking at before you get too far.

I was having the same problem, 12v coming off the wire harness going to the switch but .5v coming off when the switch was in the on position. I found out that someone had connected the black and blue wires, that are in back for the tail light, together shorting out the circuit when going through the switch. Worth looking at before you get too far.

i am also having the same trouble with the headlight not working but now you saying about the blue wire at the back mite be grounded i just remembered that someone has cut the one on mine so i may look have they grounded it hopefully the have and it will work ha