Just Rebuilt New Blaster and Have Questions

MastaFlyMason

Nov 13, 2014
I got a blaster on craigstlist for cheap with no compression. I pulled it apart and the piston rings were melted to the piston and the cylinder was trashed. I put in a Wiseco piston kit and got my cylinder bored but I have a few questions. When I got it there was no air filter at all and the oil injection was taken off but wasn't capped off so I'm assuming that's why the piston was trashed. I blocked off the oil injection port on the carb and it started it up but I haven't ridden it because I don't have an air filter yet. I have a couple questions.

1. I checked the size of my main jet and it was a 340. That sounds way too big, I'm assuming it was compensating for the lack of air filter and not having the oil injection capped off. I have a Pro Circuit Platinum exhaust and silencer, and no air box lid and I will probably have an aftermarket filter. My Piston is 2.25mm over. What jetting should I be running? I live in Illinois I plan on riding in winter as well

2. The air filter and air filter cage are missing completely. Is there a filter that has one built in or will I have to find a cage as well?

I will be performing a leakdown test and plug chops when I get an air filter.

EDIT: I forgot one last thing, my piston is as big as Wiseco makes so if I trash my cylinder again am I SOL or can I use a 240cc bore kit with the stock cylinder that is bored out?

Last edited:
thats a good question.
i would assume you would need the cage and bolt to hold it on,unless you modified the intake to a cone filter,or aftermarket airbox.
are you sure it says 340 and not 240?
i would not start it until air filter is fitted.
340 probably a little big but with the pipe no lid and running in winter it is not to far off
this is saying it is like 16 bucks or off e-bay
others will post just give em a minute:)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

If there was any debris from the piston failure then you should split and clean the cases. Throw in some new bearings and seals while your in there. With the cold weather you could prob start with 300-310. Whats your elevation? You could throw a pod filter on it or get or make your own airbox, depending on you riding conditions

nope, no cage needed.

most people here prefer to run foam air filters though.

i would never buy an off-brand filter. k&n or UNI is the way to go

you can buy the cage from link i posted above,but if you ordered the 50 dollar k&n then i guess you dont need it:)
you half to click on oem parts fill in your model year ect then look in intake section on that page...it wont let me link it to you...motosports will but its says it has been under construction for like months:) or a yamaha dealer

this is the part # for future refrence:)
2XJ-14458-00-00GUIDE | (U49)

intake.gif

Last edited: