Is a Blaster right for me?

bananabis

Sep 12, 2007
I posted a thread a few years ago in the introductions section when I was looking for a Blaster. College got in the way, but now I've got some cash saved up and I'm looking for something to have some fun on. I'm looking for some honest opinions here because I'm sort of split between getting a Blaster or a 300ex. I'd like to limit myself to around a $1500 budget so I can have a few bucks for maintenance funds (mods later).

Any help is appreciated, I'll save the bull$hit and cut right to the chase. I did feel a little cramped when I sat on one at a dealership couple years ago, but from the few times I've rode Blasters I immediately fall in love with its peppyness and fun factor. The last quad I owned was a mundane 4 stroke Lakota that was reliable, easy going, predictable, but far from fun on the trails..

• 6'1/170 ... will I be able to fit comfortably?
  • Woods/trails and occasional snow riding, 2t outdone by 4 stroke practicality?
  • Rebuild costs: I've heard anywhere from $80-1000+ on kits & labor?
  • Premix a hassle vs almighty 'reliable' Honda?

I don't mind having to routine maintenance, but I'm hearing stories from previous owners that Blasters are 'becoming junk' after a few years. Want to get an honest opinion from you folks before I pick something up..

those that stated blasters are becoming junk, are poor at maintaining anything other than an "add gas and go 4 joke" then they prolly sale them at the first sign of trouble

a blaster is way faster and fun than a 300ex, and similarly sized
we have lots of 6'+ members on here up to almost 300lbs

the blaster has proven time and time again to be the easiest, cheapest atv known to mod and/or rebuild, used parts avaiable everywhere, top ends done at a shop for around $250, bore jobs around $60 and and piston kits from $60 -$120, do the wrenching yourself and save

blasters..............most bang for the buck, hands down !!!!!!!

ya man 300ex's suck. get a blaster. as long as you run quality oil, watch ur compression etc. the blaster will last plenty long. plus if the 4 poke needs rebuilt you could rebuild the blasty 4 times for the same price

definatly a blaster, before i joined here back in november.. i was gonna get a 400ex instead, after reading about how yeah 400exs are typically better than blasters all around, cost more to maintain, and a rebuild kills your wallet on a 4 stroke... iv loved my blaster ever since and i wouldnt trade it for anything... yet

a blaster is definitely the best bang for your buck. It has an amazing powerband and you can get them relatively cheap. I paid $725 for mine. You will definitely be happier with a blaster and thats what everyone on this forum will tell you lol

i am 6-1 200 lbs and have no issues with fitting. although i feel like a circus bear riding it sometimes most of the time your moving all over the place so no one is gonna point and laugh at you LOL

another added perk is that the blaster is hands down one of the easiest quads to rebuild and perform regular maintenence on. Just a top end rebuild can be done by you for pretty cheap and with just the help of a clymer manual. But you also have the blasterforum to ask questions at.

I posted a thread a few years ago in the introductions section when I was looking for a Blaster. College got in the way, but now I've got some cash saved up and I'm looking for something to have some fun on. I'm looking for some honest opinions here because I'm sort of split between getting a Blaster or a 300ex. I'd like to limit myself to around a $1500 budget so I can have a few bucks for maintenance funds (mods later).

Any help is appreciated, I'll save the bull$hit and cut right to the chase. I did feel a little cramped when I sat on one at a dealership couple years ago, but from the few times I've rode Blasters I immediately fall in love with its peppyness and fun factor. The last quad I owned was a mundane 4 stroke Lakota that was reliable, easy going, predictable, but far from fun on the trails..

• 6'1/170 ... will I be able to fit comfortably?
  • Woods/trails and occasional snow riding, 2t outdone by 4 stroke practicality?
  • Rebuild costs: I've heard anywhere from $80-1000+ on kits & labor?
  • Premix a hassle vs almighty 'reliable' Honda?

I don't mind having to routine maintenance, but I'm hearing stories from previous owners that Blasters are 'becoming junk' after a few years. Want to get an honest opinion from you folks before I pick something up..

If you are staying bone stock, get the 300ex. It is the far better handling machine and absorbs trail bumps and jumps better. If you are doing a basic rebuild yourself, both cost the same to rebuild. If you are taking it to a shop or the engine is grenaded the 300ex will cost more to rebuild. Stock for stock, the Blaster beats it in a drag, but the 300ex typically wins in trails from the low end torque and far better handling.

The Blaster stock runs an oil injection unit. It's essentially no different than the 300ex except you will go through oil faster on the Blaster than the 300ex.

The 300ex has more room to ride on, but sits a LOT lower to the ground......which is a good thing, but something to consider at your height.

Keep in mind, once you start modding, the Blaster quickly becomes superior to the 300ex in terms of power.

i would get the blaster especially if you are looking to mod I in the future. I'm 6th 300# and actually kinda like the way the blaster feels. it's a little crapped but sits high. and if I added taller bars I would prolly feel even better. For me the 300ex had a little more space but since it sit lower I wasn't as comfortable. Also I'm gonna note that I rode a 450r and it felt about the same, it's about the same size as the blaster had more space but sit a lot lower. but ride and power is no comparison here. lol

I think it depends on what you like. My dad had a '86 250X (almost the same as the 300EX) and never had one problem with it, sold it a year or two ago for a raptor 700. He bought it barley used in 88ish, just did regular matinence (oil change, lube the chain, clean filter) didn't have to put a dime in to it (not tires or anything) and sold it for a couple hundred more than he bought it for over 20 years later. Stock for stock they are DEAD EVEN in a drag race (I would win no matter which one I drove since is was probably 80lbs lighter than him) but after I put my toomey pipe on it wasn't even close. If you like 4-strokes go with it, if you like 2-strokes go with the blaster.

I 'preciate the food for thought guys.

You know I first rode a Blaster maybe when I was 12 years old, and all of the freakin ones I looked at used over the years...instead of being patient I ended up with something else. The few friends I have that still ride just kinda sh*ttalk it down "ehhh its a two stroke, no reverse, you gonna get stuck all the time". f*ck 'em, I don't care it's about what I like and want, right?? If I can keep up with oil changes, general upkeep, not beat too hard on it and make sure rebuilds are done right (no cheaping out on parts, too), I think I'll be alright. I'm busy with school so the maintenance issue of a two stroke is whats irking me.. hopefully I'll find time to ride and wrench.

I 'preciate the food for thought guys.

You know I first rode a Blaster maybe when I was 12 years old, and all of the freakin ones I looked at used over the years...instead of being patient I ended up with something else. The few friends I have that still ride just kinda sh*ttalk it down "ehhh its a two stroke, no reverse, you gonna get stuck all the time". f**ck 'em, I don't care it's about what I like and want, right?? If I can keep up with oil changes, general upkeep, not beat too hard on it and make sure rebuilds are done right (no cheaping out on parts, too), I think I'll be alright. I'm busy with school so the maintenance issue of a two stroke is whats irking me.. hopefully I'll find time to ride and wrench.

The Blaster requires no more maintenance than any other quad. If anything it's less maintenance because if you have to rebuild the top end, it only takes about 10 minutes to get the top end apart and maybe about 30 minutes or so to get it back together properly.

As far as no reverse, it's not a big deal. I shaved my front fenders and use my feet to "pedal" the tires backwards for reverse and on trails, it's so light, you can just pick it up and move it. I don't even remember if the 300ex had reverse or not. The 400 didn't. Really, it's fairly hard to find lower end sport quads today with reverse. All I can think of off the top of my head is the KFX450R.