im lost

tcoop474

Apr 15, 2009
alabama
im in school right now to b an rn but that aint really what i wanna do so i talked to my parents and they understand. but heres the problem i dnt know what i wanna do i love working with my hands like rebuilding 4wheelers dirtbikes working on cars and trucks. ive had some thought run threw my head like joining the services and being a airplane mechanic but i wanna something i can live comfortably doing and that i will always have a job in. ive also thought about bieng a electrician for the mines around here they make like 35-42 an hr. idk just throw some ideas out

im in school right now to become an auto/diesel mechanic and i love it. If you want some info on the school pm me and ill give you some details, pretty affordable to (from a university standpoint)

im in school right now to b an rn but that aint really what i wanna do so i talked to my parents and they understand. but heres the problem i dnt know what i wanna do i love working with my hands like rebuilding 4wheelers dirtbikes working on cars and trucks. ive had some thought run threw my head like joining the services and being a airplane mechanic but i wanna something i can live comfortably doing and that i will always have a job in. ive also thought about bieng a electrician for the mines around here they make like 35-42 an hr. idk just throw some ideas out

Hi,

This is my belief and what I have told my son. Learn both a trade and a profession. When my son is old enough I am going to have him work for people I know in either the automotive field or the construction field. Then he will go to college and learn a profession (business, engineering, medical –RN of DR.). From there I told him once he has learned a craft and a profession he is free to do what he wants- chase his dreams. This combination of schooling and experience will allow him to adapt to changing job markets and to provide himself with a decent living. I find it irresponsible to tell someone to chase their dreams without first considering how they are going to put a roof over their head and food on the table. I too did not find out and really still do not know what I want to do- but at 36 and having worked in the construction, warehousing, and automotive sectors I am enrolled in college and am currently in my Bachelor’s program in accounting. The reason that I took accounting was because of logic. An accountant is versatile, important, and internationally applicable. I had a boss that had a BS in Business Admin and he would ask me questions about the organization even before I had my associates. My recommendation to you is to take the basic prerequisites at school while you decide what you want to do and find a job doing a trade you might like (electrician (my grandfather was a master), plumbing (my dad was a master), or mechanic). I think that a good path would be to go into the service to learn a trade like airframe and power plant mechanic (my grandfather was this too and my dad was a machinist mate in the Navy) and take business classes or engineering classes. Get your degree because there is a good chance that you are going to want to be the boss one day. I know that I am long winded but this is important and if you have any questions just ask.

Reactions: chrisroberts916
Very well put.
I'm a diesel mechanic, it's hard, heavy and dirty work. Pays not bad but by no means great. At 37 years old I feel the aches of the field I have choosen. I to would get the education you need to use your head and not your hands. Than with the money you make you can have toys to wrench on. How I wish I was 18 again. Joining the service is a good option and should really consider it. Let the gov. pay for your schooling afterwards. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I just joined the Air Force. I suggest you go talk to an Air Force recruiter and see what they have to offer. You will quickly see that in the Air Force they live a very comfortable lifestyle. The perks of the job are better than any job you will find working with your hands in the civilian world.

i decided to stay on track to becoming a RN. i thought it threw for bout a week now and the money will b good and i can buy toys to wrench on.

i would ike to but i dnt know how to get n that feild

Contact some engineers at those companies. I know that it can be done. You have to be patient and play a little email tag- but it will happen. You can also go to your local college and talk with people in the engineering department as well as the counselors. Contact Angus Kennedy one of the builders on this site- I know he can help, just read his background on his website.

I have to say that if you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. Being an RN is good work and they can't get enough of them. However, no matter how good of job it is, if you hate it, it will suck. I:I

i would ike to but i dnt know how to get n that feild

go to school to become an RN and join the National Guard/Reserves to learn to be an electrician or an airframe and powerplant mechanic. Then you will be set as the Guard/Reserves will train you in another field and pay you schooling off...win-win I:I

The vocational school near here has a power mechanics course, they teach you to work on small engines, motorcycles, atvs, and work you up to tractors. My buddy is in that course this fall. I have always liked body work so I am going for Auto Body. I know that since Im in high school i still have a chance to go to college or whatever, but you could probably find a place that teaches power mechanics or another trade. But I agree that you should have a trade and a profession under your belt. Finish becoming a RN and then maybe go to school for a trade, that way you are set for the future no matter where it goes.