Idle mixture screw bad ?

rich1

Jan 6, 2014
N.C./RTP
I just cleaned the carb and set the float to the correct height ,gas was overflowing out the tube. I checked the idle mixture screw and it was all the way in. I turned it out 1 1/2 turns out and started the engine . It started up at a really high rpm like the throttle was stuck. I shut it down . I then screwed the idle mixture screw back in all the way and it started up and idled fine . Runs good and plug looks fine. Is that the way its supposed to be or is the TORs set up wrong ? :-/

that /\
plus......

did you try readjusting the actual idle screw after correctly setting the airscrew ?
it needs to be around 1.5 turns out.
the idle screw is on top of the tors unit, pull the seat and lift the rubber flap to access it under the tank.

the airscrew should be adjusted for highest idle, then the idle turned down to normal
here..........

http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet-51060/

I checked for air leaks with carb cleaner found none.Motor is all new rebuild professionally built at a local shop. I saw the idle screw on top of the TORs but was unsure how it worked. I was not sure / never saw this kind of carb / set up before and have only had the Blaster a week . I will try the above set -up in the morning . Thanks .

I checked for air leaks with carb cleaner found none.Motor is all new rebuild professionally built at a local shop. I saw the idle screw on top of the TORs but was unsure how it worked. I was not sure / never saw this kind of carb / set up before and have only had the Blaster a week . I will try the above set -up in the morning . Thanks .

you should really invest in a leak tester, and a TORS removal kit is a good upgrade also, i did it to mine

you need to leak test with a proper tester member awk 08 sells a good 1 [it saved my top end]or there is a thread to build 1. its very important to do the leak test an air leak can make you lean and fry that new rebuild in a hurry

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the shop that built the motor for the person I got the Blaster from ,they said they did not build the motor since it needed a crank assy. They said that Houser Racing did the work and said it was very unlikely that there is an air leak since new seals and bearings are used when a new crank is installed.
So I went to adjust the idle mixture screw again, by the info above. But 1st I wanted to see if the screw was grooved from being all the way in. As soon as I backed it out again the screw just fell out , the threads in the carb are stripped. No o-ring , used rtv sealant to try and stop an air leak. That must be why they has the TORs idle set to 2 1/2 turns !
It looks like I need a new carb body , I looked in the parts for sale ads and found one that Surfrjag is selling . But my post count is too low and the admin. said I cant reply for a month . Grrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited: