How I check for engine leaks.

Re: Yamaha Blaster Leak Down Test how to.

You sprayed soapy water directly onto a 2 stroke engine you suspected had a leak? You injected soapy water directly into the transfer tunnel.... you're lucky you didn't cold sieze that quad.

You need to remove that video right NOW and do a proper leak down test, with a leakdown tester!

Also, see the bubbles coming from out of the stator side plug? You have a blown stator side crank seal as well.

I understand you have this new arrangement with youtube and are trying to make some money off this arrangement but it shouldn't be under the guise of a "how-to" channel unless you're doing proper how-to's!

I promise 7 squirts a windex has never and will never seize a quad engine. If that were the case it would have seized in the thousands of giant water puddles its been thrown in last weekend. This is how I do a leak down test. It works, its effective, and I have no problems with checking for leaks this way. Discovered several leaks and now I can fix them.

I dont do these videos to make money. I do them to help people, ive been doing the vids for years without getting paid. Not everyone has or can afford a leak down tester. This is very simple and wont seize your engine. Thats part of the reason you warm it up first. The engine is so hot that is burns of any moisture far before it gets sucked into the engine.

Reactions: Gibbo

That is NOT a how-to on a leak down test. The reason it is named a LEAK-DOWN test is because you pressurize the engine and see if it LEAKS-DOWN. You're haphazardly finding leaks by squirting liquid into the hole long enough to keep the air out. The only leaks you can find like that are huge gasket leaks (and not even all of them).

I traded a guy last month a cylinder because his nephew drove his blaster into water. He four point seized the engine and the momentum of the assembly sliding to a halt broke one of the mounting tabs off the cylinder... It can be done, air cooled 2 strokes can take some beating but enough cold liquid ( I agree, probably not 7 shots of windex) sprayed straight down on them WILL take its toll on an engine.

Also, it's not just the piston you're looking at damaging like that... The base gasket mating surface is just above the "track" which captures oil and funnels it down to the crank saddle bearings. When you sprayed ammonia based windex onto that gasket and the engine shut off, guess where that windex that got sucked into your engine ran down to? Straight into the crank bearing possibly washing off lube. Do THAT enough times, crank bearings will be harmed.

If you're going to make a video and call it a how-to, do the process correctly.

That is NOT a how-to on a leak down test. The reason it is named a LEAK-DOWN test is because you pressurize the engine and see if it LEAKS-DOWN. You're haphazardly finding leaks by squirting liquid into the hole long enough to keep the air out. The only leaks you can find like that are huge gasket leaks (and not even all of them).

I traded a guy last month a cylinder because his nephew drove his blaster into water. He four point seized the engine and the momentum of the assembly sliding to a halt broke one of the mounting tabs off the cylinder... It can be done, air cooled 2 strokes can take some beating but enough cold liquid ( I agree, probably not 7 shots of windex) sprayed straight down on them WILL take its toll on an engine.

Also, it's not just the piston you're looking at damaging like that... The base gasket mating surface is just above the "track" which captures oil and funnels it down to the crank saddle bearings. When you sprayed ammonia based windex onto that gasket and the engine shut off, guess where that windex that got sucked into your engine ran down to? Straight into the crank bearing possibly washing off lube. Do THAT enough times, crank bearings will be harmed.

If you're going to make a video and call it a how-to, do the process correctly.

This Blaster isnt being driven into water, its getting sprayed with almost nothing.
This Blaster wont ever idle on its own, the windex had nothing to do with the quad stalling.
Once again, a few squirts of just about anything wont hurt a gasket, bearing, seal, anything.

Your videos were extremely helpful. You should make one on how to change a crank seal I could really use it

fill that squirter up with some oil and try it

how does a running engine BLOW bubbles? from a intake vacumn air leak

If piston is going up on compression stroke it is sucking in thru carb (or anywhere it can). If piston is going down on power stroke, it is pressurizing crank area and will push out mixture anywhere it can, even after transfer ports open. I:I