How do i adjust my carb needle?

Scspeed

Aug 23, 2009
Just real quick can somebody tell me how and where i can adjust my carb needle?? I have looked and cant see anyplace where it adjusts...am i looking right over it? lol

I need to make sure it is at stock placement (three clicks down from the top) so iv been told.

unscrew the carb cap pull the slide and needle out, pull the little spring up and out of the way and there should be a screw holding it in place from the top of the slide..

the needle is located inside the carburator you must unscrew the topcap (if factory mikuni) and pull the whole works out the needle will be atached to the throttle cable with 5 different settings move up for richer down for leaner

Im still having issues with my yfz a arms when I got em I thought yeah I can make em work its alot more work than i thought

ok well i need to go leaner, how do i know which setting i am at once i lossen the two screws? will i be able to see it? feel it?

its been awile since i had a mikuni i run a keihin now but there still is a spring with the needle the needle will have a little c clip and u can see the notches on the needle it should be on #3 if it hasnt been messed with move it 1 up for leaner

ok well it was on its 3rd notch down so it was set to stock now i dont know what to do. I dont understand why i am rich at idle. and in low throttle. I want to bring it up a notch but im afraid that i may lean out and blow it up top end.

I have a gold series fatty, fmf silencer, and a reed cadge, besides that my bike is stock. The carb has a 240 main jet in it and a stock pilot i think. the previous owner did the work to it. It runs rich and i know it because i can tell by the plug and the way it runs. Its only in slight throttle though. full throttle and top end is fine.

also when i 1st start teh bike when motor is cold it idles very high then comes down as it warms up..wtf is my issue here?!? i just checked the needle and it was on notch three agh.

the needle is located inside the carburator you must unscrew the topcap (if factory mikuni) and pull the whole works out the needle will be atached to the throttle cable with 5 different settings move up for richer down for leaner

i caught this when i was reading through. its down for richer and up for leaner

i just dont understand why if my needle is set to where it is suposed to be stock, and i have the proper main jet in for what i have done to the quad, a 240 main for an fmf, gold series fatty, and reed spacer, why does my quad run very high rpms at idle, also why does it run rich at lower rpms??

Iv talked to a couple others on this forum and they say they have the same stuff done to their blaster and there running a 240 jet or higher and they are not rich at all.

I just dont know what the hell the problem is...

ok first off is it sputtering, bogging, or fouling the plug if not then run it cause you want it as rich as you can get away with without losing performance...
to adjust your pilot setting youll have to play with the air/fuel screw a normal setting usually is about 1 1/2 turns out.. the more your turn it out the richer it will get but make sure you do your adjustments a quarter of a turn at a time and make sure you keep track of your adjustments in case you have to bring it back to stock...
and second i would go up on the main jet usually for that setup people are running anything from a 260main to a 290 main depending on were they live..

if you are running lean on the idle to 1/4 throttle those are two circuits and you need to look at your air screw setting and the pilot jet as I have never heard of anyone changing the slide valve on a Balster. i hope this helps.........

Please remember that we tune each of the carburetor circuits based on throttle position and not RPM. We also go from the bottom to the top, because to varying degrees there is a culmination/overlap of mixtures from one circuit/position to the next one. If these overlaps were not present and correctly tuned for… you would experience flat spots or bogs and/or surges as you open the throttle.
Idle to about ¼ throttle opening is primarily controlled by the pilot circuit and this fuel/airflow continues all the way to WOT… and thus affects the whole jetting spectrum. This is one of the major reasons that you jet from the bottom to the top.

1/8 to about 3/8 is controlled by the slide valve cut away.
¼ to about ¾ is controlled by the needle jet and jet needle.
5/8 to WOT is controlled by the main jet.
Note how each circuit overlaps!

An important point to note is that if a particular circuit is either too rich or too lean… the amount of overlap can shift up/down, shrink/expand the range that it should normally control. Due to an engines design characteristics, rider driving technique and a multitude of other variables… a particular circuit may need to be richer/leaner than it would be in a different situation. Then an adjustment would have to be made on either side to make the transition smooth.

The transition from one area to the next doesn't have a Red or Green light…it has a blinking yellow, and just like in driving, you need to proceed with caution. If you start from the bottom and go up… you’re tuning for these variables as you open the throttle… allowing the next step to be more defined. Remember… that’s what we’re looking for… smooth transition from bottom to top, with the correct mixture ratio. Then as you roll off the throttle you'll have a smooth transition back down the range also. This is just as important! A lot of two stroke engines start to seize shortly after you come out of the throttle, not when you are WOT! Why… because when you shut off the gas, you also shut off the oil, and after a long WOT run you have built up a lot of heat, and you need the gas/oil mixture to protect your piston/cylinder walls.

Now that we have the float level set and have a basic understanding of how the circuits affect each other… let’s just do it!

The pilot circuit is controlled by the pilot jet and air/fuel adjusting screw. If the adjustment screw is on the engine side of the slide it controls the fuel, and if it’s on the air cleaner side it controls the air. Most MX style carburetors have the adjusting screw on the air cleaner side, so it controls the airflow. A simple way to look at this circuit is the pilot jet controls the fuel and the air adjusting screw allows you to add the appropriate amount of air to get the proper air/fuel mixture.

To tune the pilot circuit… lightly seat the adjusting screw by turning it clockwise till it just touches the seat. Don’t tighten it too snug or you might damage the seat or the taper on the end of the adjusting screw. Now back it out to a base line setting of 1-½ turns. Warm up the engine to a normal operating temperature. Adjust the idle speed adjusting screw so that you are about 500 RPM higher than your normal idle speed. Make a mental note of the air adjusting screws location, and slowly turn the adjustment screw in, and then turn it out in 1/8-turn increments, until you have found the highest idle RPM. Go slowly and let the RPM stabilize. Go back and forth a couple of times so that you get it spot on. If the circuit is adjusted properly you will have a smooth idle and the transition from idle to about ¼ throttle will be also be smooth, with no hesitations or flat spots.

Note how many turns it took on the adjusting screw to get your best idle speed. If you had to turn the screw more than one turn out from the baseline of 1½ turns, then the pilot jet is too large and you need to go down one size on the pilot jet. Now go back through the adjustment procedure again to get the adjustment screw back to the base line setting of around 1½ turns out, when you have the best idle. Most adjustment screws have a taper that works best between 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns. Using this method allows you to make minor air adjustments to compensate for small changes in weather conditions at the track and still be in the working range of the air screw taper and spring.

there is more if you want the entire article. i have also posted it in its entirety elsewhere on this site. i will look for it and post a link.

here is the link thingy!

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/copy-how-jet-article-link-excellent-site-17371/

my air screw up top when i try to tighten it down all the way just keeps turning, maby this is the reason it is running like this? I tryed to tighten it all the way so that i could back it off one and a half turns but it just keeps spinning, shouldnt it stop at some point when tightening?

my air screw up top when i try to tighten it down all the way just keeps turning, maby this is the reason it is running like this? I tryed to tighten it all the way so that i could back it off one and a half turns but it just keeps spinning, shouldnt it stop at some point when tightening?

yea it should stop..

i bet that has been my problem all along then, so could that cause my bike to run richer at idle and 1/8th throttle? cuz thats what it was doing, today i messed with that screw some more and i think that the person before me had stripped it, eaither way i turn the screw it does not come in or out. Thats got to be my problem.

Where can i get the part that the air screw is in? i would prolly want one used. Whats the correct name for that part so i can order a new one. Thanks.