Hey i'm new to ATV's. need your help.

callen240

Oct 2, 2008
HI. I have been reading and researching on this and other internet sites. I think this site is very helpful and you guys/girls are great with helping newbies like me out. I am going to buy an ATV in the very near future. I have ridden quads a little but never owned one. And i def don't ave enough ride time to know enough, that's why I'm here. Anyway, I am partial to Yamahas. I think they are great machines!

I know that you guys have been answering posts like mine for ever but i just need to hear for myself. I am in my late 20's and I am 5'9" and approx 195lbs. Is the blaster too small for me? Should I look into larger quads? And if so wich? I am a beginner. I'm not into too much speed. I plan on just trail riding and stuff. No racing or anything. Maybe messing around in the snow a little. Money isn't that much of an issue but i want to kep it under $2,500. if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

im 6'1 and about 195lbs and i used to have an 03 blaster. it was all stock and i loved it. They are kinda tippy unless you lenghthen and widen them but over all I loved it. They are decently fast for how small they are. A blaster is a good quad to start out on, but im sure if you get a stock one and ride it for a while you will want more power.

welcome to the forum, u could find a nice blaster for under 2500 and still have money to play with, they r very reliable machines with an assload of mods that u can do to them, pretty much make it to fit you

another thing. I dont know about where you live but where i live you can find blasters cheap. Dont spend alot of money on one. I only paid 500 for my 03 and i can find them all day long for around a grand in great shape.

not so concerned about the price as the size. Anyone out there have any size issues with this bike?

alot of people are just fine on them. some like me liked it for a while then wanted bigger. i widened it and put a longer swinger on it. now i love it. i dont know what other full sized quads you could get. around here 2500 will get you a really nice blaster but all the full size quads are about 3500 or more

I am 6' 270 lbs and i love my blaster. Spend about a grand on one then spend your other 1500 on mods to make it better. I spent about $600.00 on all of my suspension stuff to make the bike "bigger" and more full size. I put a +4 swingarm, YFZ450 rear shock, Z400 front shocks, diamond J widening kit w/ shock conversion, and custom handle bar risers. Now my quad fits me great! Then, you can spend the other $900.00 you have on a FLOTEK port and polish and some other sick motor upgarades and you could have yourself a fast lil quad that can keep up with some of the 400's out there.

Take a look at my quad on my signature. It doesnt look "small" anymore.

If maybe if youd ont want to do any work to your quad then spend $1500 more and just get a YFZ450.

Let us all know what you get.

You could fit on a blaster, but you would probably like a banshee, yfz, raptor alot better. Faster, much more comfortable and handle 10x better than a blaster. Your gonna get bias opinion for blasters on this site, personnally i would get something bigger than a blaster.

blaster

Thanks all for your help. I have been on ebay/craigslist/etc and noticed a lot of quads are out there and most are somewhat within my price range. Noticed a few Raptor 350's for sale around 2K. What do you think about those?

What kind of trails do you have? If there wide open then a blaster would be a good choice, if you've got lots of hills, rocks, and trees a blaster could still handle it but not as easily as lets say a utility.

If you look on ebay you can get one that needs some fixing up for 800 or less. If you ride it and its a little too small for you, pick up an extended swingarm and it should give you quite a bit of room.

Also... If you've got some money you want to spend after you buy a blaster then you can have a sh*tload of fun with it. Theres more modifications for the blaster than any other quad, it is on the small side but you could make it bigger easily.

the blaster is a somewhat smaller quad, but i know al ot of bigger guys that like them just fine. They are great for trails do to there size. ANd they have nice bottom end. you can definatly find one in your price rang, another bike is a yfz they are a four stroke i know but they are built for trails and are pretty set up for taller guys.