have pic...need help with shift drum and star location.

800screws

Oct 5, 2009
okay...like an ass i took off the shift star. now i have no idea how it goes back together...this morning i figured out that i needed the key(which is why i could shift a round and round. in my experimenting, i did find gears. i'm assuming there is only one way that the tranny, shift drum, and forks can go together. they went together smooth. where should the notch for the key face when the tranny is in neutral? i know the star with the point missing should face 4 o clock in neutral...
so i need to know where the notch should face and hopefully there is only one way to put the tranny/shift drum together....

P3070001.jpg

ok, i split the case again to do it right from the inside out....there are dots on the transmission gears? i know the 2 dots on the crank and balancer gears...how do u have to install the shift drum in order for the shifting to be correct? which way does the key have to face when u put it all together?

it should all fall together when u put it back in..i had the same question when i did mine..but it will go. the key fits in only one way

it all sort of just falls together... if you think about it really hard, its REALLY hard to put it together the wrong way.. as long as you got the shift forks in the right place, ur fine... just plug in the star with the key in place, bolt it together, and put the shift shaft in place.. then, before you close it up, put the shift lever on it, and test to make sure you can go through all the gears and properly engage neutral..

keep in mind that when u have it in neutral, the output shaft will still spin, but if you hold it with ur hand and turn the input shaft (center of clutch basket) it will stay still.

well, i thought i put it together right...felt it shifting through, now my brother dropped it into the bike and says it won't shift into anything but first...no second and up. the shift roller rests on the star point that is half missing right? that's neutral? otherwise i have no idea what i did wrong...like u said everything went into place. the forks go in the smooth parts of the gears, right? i'd really hate to split this again!!!!

what direction does the point that's missing on the shift star face when everything is lined up correctly? does the clymer manual show u any better how to do this than the yamaha service manual?

ah ha....i had the shift roller resting on the missing point....i wonder now if i have to split the cases again or just adjust the shift star? hmmm...everything went together in the tranny and rotated freely...

thanks for the pic

It doesn't matter which way it goes together.Just line up the key way and use some loctite and you are all good.If you want neautral it should be around 7 o clock looking at the right side.Neautral is exactly where the roller sits in the groove.I have some pics if you need more info.

If you look at freeks pic the roller wheel should sit in the neautral notch(the only odd looking notch).Why did you remove the star anyways.You do not need to remove it to split the cases.