getting a 98 blaster got a lot of questions

blasterdude14

Apr 28, 2009
ohio
Hi guys, i'm getting a 1998 yamaha blaster that is bone stock except for it has some new tires on it and the new brakes and gear shifter im gonna have to put on it. I have a lot of questions because i'm new to the riding scene.
question 1: What type of oil and ratio should I run and for when winter comes should i use a different type of oil because i've heard of oil becoming to thick in the winter time?
question 2: I will be riding on trails that are usually soaked in mud and water so wat can I do to help out the suspension and handling?
question 3: When I decide to upgrade to some performance parts should I buy the stuff that they sell on project blaster or should i get something else or would a 240 big bore kit be more worth it?
question 4: If and when I do get the upgrades mentioned in the previous question what kind of jetting should i have?
question 5: I would post some pictures of the quad the person selling it sent to me but i have no idea how to do it so could someone help me out with that?
Also i don't exactly have a lot of money to spend on upgrades the engine upgrades i could probably pay for preety quick but i know that aarms,swingarms and shocks are preety expensive so what would be some cheap upgrades that I could do I have heard of people putting on banshee front shocks and Z400 rear shocks does that work well? If I decide to get a swingarm and a arm upgrade would you reccomend the ones they sell on ebay for 200$ or can i get a better deal elsewhere? How often should I be doing maitenence? I dont plan on doing any racing. FINAL QUESTION(I promise) would I be able to beat a 250cc suzuki ozark and a 350cc honda utility atv?(i have no idea of the real name for it but i know its a utility) The only reason I want to know is because my friends are already talking crap lol
Thanks for taking the time to read and answer these questions for me

David

i'm in mineral ridge its near austintown and its not on craigslist but i have pics of it the guy sent me i just dont know how to post them

sh*t man,do you know the huntleys? I used to live in mineral ridge when i was in 6th grade 4 years ago.

Do you have a photobucket? If not go there sign up and upload them,then under the pic after it uploaded copy the image code and paste it here.

How much you paying? I got some tires that are amazing for mud,and a bunch of parts if you will need some.

sh*t man,do you know the huntleys? I used to live in mineral ridge when i was in 6th grade 4 years ago.

Do you have a photobucket? If not go there sign up and upload them,then under the pic after it uploaded copy the image code and paste it here.

How much you paying? I got some tires that are amazing for mud,and a bunch of parts if you will need some.

holy crap mike and dylan and huntley are like my best friends lol mike is actually sellin his quad now. and the blaster im getting is 500$ and ya i could use some parts tell me wat u got and how much u want for them.

holy crap mike and dylan and huntley are like my best friends lol mike is actually sellin his quad now. and the blaster im getting is 500$ and ya i could use some parts tell me wat u got and how much u want for them.

sh*t im best friends with their cousins bobby and matt,we were all chillin yesterday. With some ryan kid and a sh*t load of other people. Whats he getting after he sells his recon or what ever it is. 500 is a damn good price,and hit me up on aim.

fathomiesbmx,just let me know what parts you need.

welcome man

i believe theres threads about shocks and stuff, and about running oils.
the 240 kit is worth it, blasters are uaslly pretty quick just stock
all i have done to mine so far is bored 40 over with a wiesco piston k&n airfilter, and some turftamers on the rear and my blaster keeps up with my buddys suzuki 400
so you can always make blasters fast, or faster

and as for the 4x4 utility quads, you'll own them haha

sh*t im best friends with their cousins bobby and matt,we were all chillin yesterday. With some ryan kid and a sh*t load of other people. Whats he getting after he sells his recon or what ever it is. 500 is a damn good price,and hit me up on aim.

fathomiesbmx,just let me know what parts you need.

i know bobby and matt and ryan 2 i play tag with them almost every week lol
100_13451.jpg

100_13461.jpg

100_13471.jpg

100_13481.jpg

100_13491.jpg

here are the pics

get some smaller tires and look up the plastic restoration thread on here itll help make ur plastics look better or new again

braap may be ur head is still a little messed up from the crash casuse thats a stock pipe system with the silencer gutted out