Fox Snowmobile Shock Retainer Replacement

Triple_B

Sep 20, 2010
Sewage Drain
Alright SO. I have a set of Fox sled shocks I bought from another member. One shock has a broken retainer and was being held on with a clamp as a temporary FIX. Member I bought them from sent me replacement retainers with the shocks, so I decided I would replace the broken retainer with the new. Since I needed to take the shock apart completely, I will call this a shock re-service/rebuild. This thread also is to help out anyone that is in a similar situation, and I hope it does actually HELP

Here are the shocks Pre-Rebuild
DSC03126.jpg

Broken Retainer:
DSC03132.jpg

As you can see from the first picture, the left shock has the broken retainer

Next, I removed the spring, released all of the nitrogen, removed the shaft assembly and drained all of the oil
DSC03134.jpg

Now here is where I ran into the PROBLEM. In order to replace the retainer, I needed to take the top section of the shock off. The top section was on TIGHT, and I needed to find a way to take it off without damaging the shock.
DSC03136.jpg

So I spent some time thinking and came up with the idea of drilling a hole slightly larger than the shock body into a 2x4 and splitting it in half to create a "clamp". This clamp will be held in with a vice
Here is the "clamp"
DSC03141.jpg

Both pieces of wood clamping the shock (this picture is just the wood sitting there)
DSC03143.jpg

Next, I put the "clamp" in the vice with the shock inside. (Crappy cell phone picture)
clamp.jpg

Here I made the vice REALLY tight with the shock body inside of the "clamp", and then used a large wrench fixed at the top of the shock and started pushing until it finally came loose. I removed the top completely, replaced the retainer, and then re-assembled.

I also went a step ahead since I already disassembled the shock completely, and cleaned the inside of the shock. Applied new oil, re-assembled, and they are now ready for nitrogen.
DSC03147.jpg

DSC03151.jpg

DSC03140.jpg

This process didn't cost me anything, and I hope it helps people with a similar issue!

Not to thread jack but this is the first place I have seen someone using the snowmobile shocks and I have also been interested in using them cause I heard they are a stiff shock. I also hear there are only a few years that will work. Do you know what years that is?

Not to thread jack but this is the first place I have seen someone using the snowmobile shocks and I have also been interested in using them cause I heard they are a stiff shock. I also hear there are only a few years that will work. Do you know what years that is?

I guess i can awnser this question because i bought them off ebay originally. The answer is i had no clue what sno mo it came off of when i bought them off ebay. All I had was eye to eye dimension and bolt hole dimensions. I had to drill the bolt holes out to fit as well as make spacers to take up the extra room on the shock eyes. Theres probably many shocks with close eye to eye dimensions which require a few mods to make work. I just took the chance and to my suprise they were way better than the stock pogo sticks.

Again, I posted this to help anyone out with a similar problem. This method can be used for a complete shock rebuild, and it will not damage the body of your shocks.