flywheel free spin

budweiser_man

Jan 21, 2017
first post, name is Matt from Oregon.

just picked up a 01 blaster and have some questions

right now it does not run.
wiring was all unplugged and think I have it all plugged into the correct locations.

I have been around other bikes but this is my first 2 stroke bike.

problem I am having right now is lack of knowledge. lol

when I got the bike it had its flywheel cover removed. what i dont understand is you can grab the flywheel and spin it by hand with little resistance. not sure if that is right. when i kick it over it spins a little but if you kick over slow it does not spin. it will wiggle some but that is it. looking online some I read that it could be a broken keyway and now the flywheel spins. common problem? or is my taper bad and allowing the flywheel to free spin.

flywheel removal do i need the special tool to remove the flywheel?

right now I am not getting any spark not sure if this is my problem or wiring. I am temped to get another harness off ebay for $30.

also how do i determine what model it is? looking online not there is a letter after the 200 on all diagrams. how do i determine which one it is?

The shaft the flywheel is on is spinning freely by hand ?
You feel no resistance from compression ?
How bout while in gear ?
That could be a broken crank, which will require a full rebuild :(
See if there's any side to side play ?
Have someone hold the flywheel and watch the shaft as you slowly depress the kicker.

If it's just the flywheel spinning on the shaft, you'll need a flywheel/clutch holding tool, a flywheel puller, new correct Yamaha keyway, and lap the taper with valve grinding compound.

The flywheel is what produces spark and is likely your problem, not the harness.

The VIN # will tell you what year
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/yamaha-vin-decoder.22562/