Float height

Fast6hand

Oct 10, 2013
West Palm Beach
So I've read the write up by AWK08 about float height. And mine seems to be within reason 20-21.5mm. Which is roughly 3/4-7/8 in. So when I leave my fuel on I can see the fuel dropping in the line after it sits over night. Is it maybe stuck open and leaking into the motor? There's also a lot of air in the line. I just rebuilt the carb. Guess it's time to take it off again.

It is very normal for the fuel delivery line to have a bubble of air in it.

If the petcock is turned off and the level of the fuel in the line goes down, I would suspect a worn or dirty needle and seat.

The excess fuel normally will flow out the bowl overflow if it is free of blockage.

It is very normal for the fuel delivery line to have a bubble of air in it.

If the petcock is turned off and the level of the fuel in the line goes down, I would suspect a worn or dirty needle and seat.

The excess fuel normally will flow out the bowl overflow if it is free of blockage.
Well I just rebuilt the carb with a shindy rebuild kit. I know a bubble is ok, but half the line has no fuel in it. I was talking to you recently about the yamabond around the nipple restricting the flow. It's kinda doing that now. In thinking it's something in the carb. I haven't taken it off yet because I'm waiting on my new CFM air box.

Well I just rebuilt the carb with a shindy rebuild kit. I know a bubble is ok, but half the line has no fuel in it. I was talking to you recently about the yamabond around the nipple restricting the flow. It's kinda doing that now. In thinking it's something in the carb. I haven't taken it off yet because I'm waiting on my new CFM air box.

fuel cap vent flowing freely ?
try unscrewing/removing the cap to see if it changes

If you are concerned about the float setting you can check the fuel level in the bowl.

Lift the float bowl drain hose up past the top of the float bowl and with the petcock on, crack open the drain screw.

The fuel level in the hose should be level with the top of the float bowl gasket.

I have witnessed bubbles in fuel lines from the size of a Goldfish fart, all the way to nearly an empty fuel line, with no detrimental consequences.

Fear not, fuel will always pass that bubble, the bubble will never be forced into the carby.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about the float setting you can check the fuel level in the bowl.

Lift the float bowl drain hose up past the top of the float bowl and with the petcock on, crack open the drain screw.

The fuel level in the hose should be level with the top of the float bowl gasket.

I have witnessed bubbles in fuel lines from the size of a Goldfish fart, all the way to nearly an empty fuel line, with no detrimental consequences.

Fear not, fuel will always pass that bubble, the bubble will never be forced into the carby.
So I guess as long as there's fuel in there I'm ok.