elka stage 4

Turbo

Jun 8, 2013
England
i have got the above fitted front and rear, my front shocks when pushed down, they return fully however the rear sits lower to start with & does not fully return to the top??????????

It's almost like there ain't enough gas in the cylinder, I haven't got to suspension setup yet,
On the rear shock there is the main spring then a further smaller lightweight spring above that, which is fully compressed before I even sit on it, how do I know how much gas should be in the cylinder?

What weight rider where these elkas setup for? There are adjustments to set to help you out but if they are valved for a lighter rider than a stronger spring may do the trick.Or they may need a recharge. You can't just check the fluid in the shocks. They are pressurized and if you open the bleeder you will lose all nitrogen.

What weight rider where these elkas setup for? There are adjustments to set to help you out but if they are valved for a lighter rider than a stronger spring may do the trick.Or they may need a recharge. You can't just check the fluid in the shocks. They are pressurized and if you open the bleeder you will lose all nitrogen.

Thanks I will get the rear recharged, well I suspect the last owner was a very young kid as the thumb throttle had a restrictive bolt & nut preventing anything from 1/4 throttle, so maybe they let out a little gas to get it to sit a little Lower at the rear

A shock can be completely empty of fluid and nitrogen and it will not cause it to squat, that's 100% the job of the spring. The fluid and gas charge is part of the dampening system. If it's not sitting at the correct height or not able to be set to the correct sag, its a spring or spring adjustment issue. Without yje spring a shock will compress under load and not return and a shock will hold weight without and fluid or charge if the spring is in place, there will just be no dampening. Take a few minutes to read up on how suspension works before you start spending money.

A shock can be completely empty of fluid and nitrogen and it will not cause it to squat, that's 100% the job of the spring. The fluid and gas charge is part of the dampening system. If it's not sitting at the correct height or not able to be set to the correct sag, its a spring or spring adjustment issue. Without yje spring a shock will compress under load and not return and a shock will hold weight without and fluid or charge if the spring is in place, there will just be no dampening. Take a few minutes to read up on how suspension works before you start spending money.

Thanks, I will do some research