E85?

sborns

Feb 13, 2010
Alcester SD
I'v been throwing around the idea of possibly running E85 in my quad for the next race year. I know that it doesn't lube the top end as well as pump fuel but being a 2 stroke my not matter. I know their are some fols that run meth or alcahol in 2 strokes. I'm just asking if anyone thinks it may be a viable fuel or be too much to undertake. Any input would be great.

wanna clean your carb every 2 weeks???? ethanol based fuesl are horrible for vented fuel systems, ethanol obsorbs water, and goes bad faster than fossle fuels.. dont waste the time unless you wanna clean your carb and tank all the time

it'd take a bit of work to make it work the way that it should, and i would try to find an e85 specific carb, more goes into it than just throwing bigger jets in it

you'd also need oil that would disperse properly in the fuel and keep the ethanol out of the motor when you put it away since anything that can rust in the motor will because ethanol is hygroscopic.

I know that ethanol is hell on the carb and rubber lines it was the most common and biggedt moneymaker when I worked at the cycle shop in town. The thing was to see if the hassle would be worth the possible power gains. Thanks for the input thus far. And sorry for the bad typeing I'm on my phone.

not sure where you are going to get more power burning e85. Ethenol releases less energy when it is burned, so it needs more of it to do the same amount of work as plain ol' gasoline.

I know that it doesn't lube the top end as well as pump fuel but being a 2 stroke my not matter.

this line right here makes me think you are a dip sh*t.
all i have to say, i think there is enough explanation to why i say this. but if you need a reason, i will be glad to give you one.

this line right here makes me think you are a dip sh*t.
all i have to say, i think there is enough explanation to why i say this. but if you need a reason, i will be glad to give you one.

baaaaaaaahahahahaha, if i had spare lines in my sig that would be going in there

I'v been throwing around the idea of possibly running E85 in my quad for the next race year. I know that it doesn't lube the top end as well as pump fuel but being a 2 stroke my not matter. I know their are some fols that run meth or alcahol in 2 strokes. I'm just asking if anyone thinks it may be a viable fuel or be too much to undertake. Any input would be great.

What's so bad about running meth or alcohol in a two stroke? I'm going to be running meth next time I'm at the dunes. Anything to make more power.

I'm going to be smoking meth next time I'm at the dunes. Anything to make me higher.

/\/\ what ????? hahahaaaaa

if this ethanol was a viable option, wouldnt the manufactuers or aftermarket company's be offering something for it ???

Lmao - nitromethane !! Sweet
I was blending 2 and 1/2 cups of it in my fuel per every tank , like everyone said on blaster forum "you'll be sorry "
It dont mix well !
They were right it didn't take but 3 tanks to burn it down
Went balls to wall though but I'm not Gona do that again

i think there should be some research done on alternative racing fuels, you can't just dump "alky" in and run, it take carb work, along with a whole nother mind set of tuning, i'm not going in that direction though, if your debating using ethanol in anything research "phase separation" on the net, as a marine guy they pound us with this stuff at every school or seminar we go to, do some research and i think you'll reconsider highly consentrated ethanol in your toys, i'm not sayin done run it in your vehicles that are designed to run it, just not your toys

if your that worried about making more power run a oxiginated race fuel from vp and jet and tune for it and you will be happy, you wqill make more reliable power, and never have to second guess if your running a true '85% blend of crap

http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf

Look at the last sentence of the "introduction" section. The problem is, storing ethanol blends. A huge no no but ethanol blends are not a bad way to "cheat" the octane curve without going with fuel that's $8 a gallon.

in the long run it will cost you more.. or the same as running a higher grade good fuel..

ethanol burns faster than gasoline.. iirc 25% faster than gasoline.. sooo there for you will need to jet your carb wayy up to keep your jetting correct for the motor, so in turn your gonna use more fuel running the e85 than you would on gasoline or race fuel.. yes e85 is cheaper than gasoline but your using more of it to do the same thing

The reason you use more ethanol than gasoline has nothing to do with flame front speed.

The total energy held in a single molecule of ethanol is lower than the average of the blend of hydrocarbons that makes up gasoline. You are correct about the need for 25% more ethanol that gasoline but it's the lack of energy per molecule.

That being said, the premium per gallon of race fuel is more than 25% of the cost of E85. E85 is about $3 a gallon and ~109 octane.