DIY hi-flow fuel petcot

Paulie B

Jan 17, 2008
SOMD
OK I want to be clear, unless your running a drag port or alcohol you prolly won't need this mod but I'm sure it could help some of you guys save some $$$$ when the time comes B-)

What you need:
A drill and bits
A tap
A hose fitting
Dremel (optional)
Bigger fuel line!

Begin by going to a hardware store and picking up a hose fitting. I found this brass one from True Value. Pick up a matching drill bit and tap if you don't already have one and bigger line. True value littlerly has a rack of lines. Trial fit the hose fitting and fuel line while your there. For this one I needed a 10mm-1.00 tap and matching 23/64" bit.
Remove your petcot and drill out the stock brass fitting. Step drill it starting with a small bit and work you way up to the 23/64" bit. Run your tap and screw on your new hose fitting.
Disassemble your petcot and take out the front plate (it's the piece that says RES, OFF, ON on it) You'll see a stop that's inbetween RES and ON on the right side. Grind the stop off. This will let you select RES and ON at the same time giving you twice the flow.
Remove the in tank fuel filters and tubes. Drill both holes out on the top.
I scribed a mark on the selector plated marked 'B' for both RES and ON.
Make sure you also drill out your gas cap to flow more air.
DONE!
Total cost $1.45+.59 for the hose fitting and bigger line VS $59 for a Pingle valve.

PIX:
Materials

IM000013.jpg

Top drilled out

IM000014.jpg

Stock VS Hi-flow

IM000008.jpg

IM000012.jpg

i sure hope your catching that gas, at almost 4 bucks a gallon lol lol !!

does more fuel flowing help, the carb can only hold so much gas right

i sure hope your catching that gas, at almost 4 bucks a gallon lol lol !!

does more fuel flowing help, the carb can only hold so much gas right

You better believe that's water :)
Yes it does help. The stock Blaster tank fuel outlet will flow less then the fuel inlet of an aftermarket carb.
After this mod the only upgrade is to drill out the inside of your carb or get a pump.

awesome write up did it to mine today with 5/16 fitting. anyways worked well I bored the inside of the petcock out from on to res sides inside so now I only have on or off. But I will tell you on flows like crazy. But the new tube wont fit on my carb even with a hose clamp. instead put about 2" of the old hose till I get a new carb or a plastic adapter to lower the hose diameter.

awesome write up did it to mine today with 5/16 fitting. anyways worked well I bored the inside of the petcock out from on to res sides inside so now I only have on or off. But I will tell you on flows like crazy. But the new tube wont fit on my carb even with a hose clamp. instead put about 2" of the old hose till I get a new carb or a plastic adapter to lower the hose diameter.

I had similar issues with the hose not fitting. An old trick I use is to heat the hose (not connected of course) with a lighter and screw in a bolt the same size as you petcot outlet. This softens and stretches the hose enough to fit.
Unscrew the bolt and hook it up :)

So you used the stock hose or a little bigger not as big as mne though, that makes this mod a little less usable though. my carb is also letting a little fuel out th over flow now also have to check out the float hieght and clean the the float plunger/gas inlet plunger. maybe its stuck open but it doesnt flow out like it flows in.

My main thing is if you flow x amount of fuel through a 7/16 fitting and attach a line that flows less, it will only allow the omount of fuel to flow that would originally flow through the line.

If it ever starves for fuel, YES. and I did fix mine I had a little something in the seat of the float plunger no more leaks.

bringing this back from the dead.....sounds like a good mod for some people....i might end up doing this for more flo