diy airbox /no lid modmod

Dec 14, 2015
So. I been working on this build for about 6 months now and the debate about lid or no lid has been going threw my head. Quick setup I'm running a big bore sleeve. High comp wiseco piston and crank. Aggressive port and polish. 2 stage Vito reeds.stock carb. Full fmf fatty with powercore 2. Needle middle clip 340 main. And it came to the air box. I wanted the airflow of no lid but the protection of a lid. I tried drilling the holes and it had no grand effect. The. It dawned on me. Why couldn't I cut my lid and fit a car filter into it? So to wall mart I I go. I took my lid in and sized up the 3$ Fram filter that would fit. This part you might want to skip. As I thought about it the k&n that was 35$ more was right next to me and the filter might of fell Into the 3$ Fram box....
20151221_182816.jpg
placed the filter on my lid and traced the smallest part of filter so when dropped in the lip will sit around the lid. I then cut it out and smoothed the edges and placed my new n&n lid filter in place
20151221_182749.jpg
and I now have a open air box that will let in as much air as it can take with the benefits of being able to clean the filter and have the protection of a closed airbox lid. Please let me know what you guys think. Any suggestions would be appreciated. And please don't scold me on the whole switching filter boxes please this is build on a budget and I confessed my sins already on church last Sunday. God approved of my mod.

You may want to block off where the snorkel was on the air box (the round hole). Otherwise the air being sucked in will just bypass the filter. Otherwise nice idea.