Diamond J kit vs. Extended A-Arms

MasterBlaster55

Jul 26, 2009
Im ready to widen my front end and put yfz shocks on, are there any benefits you would get from extended a-arms that you wouldnt get from the diamond j widening kit...also I do mostly woods/cross country racing with a little bit of mx...should i get the 4.5 or the 6 inch extension...i just dont wanna get it too wide to fit through tight trails, thanks

Well if you have the money get extended arms, they look better and dont add as much weight. If not the widening kit works alright. I ran the +6 and had no problems fitting down trails. Most people say they are junk because when they relocate your arm mounts out they make it harder to make tight turns and that the bump steer is increased, again i ran them and didn't find much trouble from it. Most people that have had them or do have them will tell you they have had little trouble with the diamond J kit. (the tie rod extenders break sometimes) and the people that have not had them will call them sh*t.

ya ive heard several things, but i have yet to actually try them. i see no standout flaws in design, but the weight thing is true, thats alot of 1/4'' plate. im just interested in the geometry of the kit, how the suspension angles will change when installing with yfz 450 shocks.(i plan on using the same setup.) you think it would give you more clearence in the center of the frame, seeing as how it widens it 6 inches .(if you do the six inch, i want to, like they say, blasters are narrow from factory). i wonder how much it gets lowered if any with the 450 shocks... and secondly, i wanna hear from somone about the whole tight turns being difficult, and third, get some new tierods and that should take care of the weak extensions? im in this with ya, i wanna run this kit, and a arms are just too damn expensive, besides, +6+1 from this kit? im willing to try it for 220 bucks....

I ran the kit with z400 fronts and it did not lower the frame at all. Also if you get the +6, the holes for +4.5 are there as well. As for the tight turning i hardly noticed it, but it did change the tracking slightly. Yes extended tie rods would be a way around the extenders breaking

*Here is the kit, i cant remember how much it weighs
1014081902.jpg

ya ive heard several things, but i have yet to actually try them. i see no standout flaws in design, but the weight thing is true, thats alot of 1/4'' plate. im just interested in the geometry of the kit, how the suspension angles will change when installing with yfz 450 shocks.(i plan on using the same setup.) you think it would give you more clearence in the center of the frame, seeing as how it widens it 6 inches .(if you do the six inch, i want to, like they say, blasters are narrow from factory). i wonder how much it gets lowered if any with the 450 shocks... and secondly, i wanna hear from somone about the whole tight turns being difficult, and third, get some new tierods and that should take care of the weak extensions? im in this with ya, i wanna run this kit, and a arms are just too damn expensive, besides, +6+1 from this kit? im willing to try it for 220 bucks....

I just recently discussed the kit in another thread, I currently run the 6" kit and have none of the "steer" issues at all, and I can tell ya weight is not an issue. The plates are heavy duty but not anything noticed, probably break even with the new longer arms, etc. As far as tight in the trails, 6 inches wider is 6 inches wider, no matter how ya look at it. If your blaster is JUST fitting down your trails of choice, then any widening is going to create conflict. And, as far as the tie rods, I beat the hell outta my bike at all times and it just keeps on givin'

bumpsteer shouldnt be an issue unless you change your front rim offset (like fliping your rims)
but you could always get a steering damper and it will help

sicc, well that answers those questions, i think im sold... i just cant spend 600-800 on a arms just because they look better, maybe a tiny bit lighter, and are more conventional...im gonna get the kit.

sicc, well that answers those questions, i think im sold... i just cant spend 600-800 on a arms just because they look better, maybe a tiny bit lighter, and are more conventional...im gonna get the kit.

The diamond J kit is very affordable, very functional, super strong(If I have not broken it yet it can't break) and very easy and straight forward to install. I actually like the look of it cause it pushes the shocks out more and looks alot beefier than the std skinny blaster front center. Plus, it utilizes all the stock suspension components and still leaves room to upgrade later if you choose to do so. It is a win win situation, a no brainer.

Go for it. I:I