damage analysis

yes se-r

Aug 6, 2009
Long Island, NY
well instead of dumping tons of money into performance, ive been doing smarter things like bushings brakes tires etc. id rather have a safe quad then a stupid fast one that will get me killed lol

anyways today im installing my sprockets when i notice : this biotch is leaking oil from other places besides the clutchcase cover

anyways the motor is anywhere from 8-10 years old..and its leaking oil from the shiftshaft, the crankcase and the clutchcase cover.

1.the shifter is bent

2.the cylinder is good; no damage pits carbon etc.

3. piston has seen better days, but nothing to cry about

4. its beat up, old, carb sucks ass, still leaks gas, bogs down sometimes etc.

now my question is: is it worth fixing up this motor? or just sh*t can it and buy a new one? im leaning towards buy a new one, junk the crankcase and part out the stuff thats good (transmission, clutch, crank etc)

It would be way more cost effective to fix this motor up as long as nothing major is wrong with it like broken cases or something of that nature, even then it might be cheaper. Why would you junk the cases? Or are they actually cracked and thats where your leaking oil? You can just replace all the gaskets and seals, then just rebuild the carb, replace the shifter, and give it a hone and put new rings in it and all your problems are solved and itd be a fresh motor.... unless I missed something.

It would be way more cost effective to fix this motor up as long as nothing major is wrong with it like broken cases or something of that nature, even then it might be cheaper. Why would you junk the cases? Or are they actually cracked and thats where your leaking oil? You can just replace all the gaskets and seals, then just rebuild the carb, replace the shifter, and give it a hone and put new rings in it and all your problems are solved and itd be a fresh motor.... unless I missed something.

True Story.............

Or even while your at it, send the top end out and have it worked over, you will still end up cheaper then a new motor. Hell throw a stroker crank in there also...

theres also a big downside im leaving out..i ran the vin when i first got the quad and the numbers came up clean but the numbers on the motor have been scratched off fail.
it sketches me out so much knowing that..

If you came by the quad honestly then dont sweat the vin thing,What since would it make to scrap something that you don't ACTUALLY know is "hot" ? Short of doing a very in depth process of restoring the numbers/then tracing the vin number to that last registered owner there is not much you can do.Then lets say hypothetically that you do manage to bring the numbers back and you find the last owner what are they gunna say ? "yea it was stolen.....does it run ? Well then i want it back."
Regasket it,rering it and ride it ! Or send it to me....

If you came by the quad honestly then dont sweat the vin thing,What since would it make to scrap something that you don't ACTUALLY know is "hot" ? Short of doing a very in depth process of restoring the numbers/then tracing the vin number to that last registered owner there is not much you can do.Then lets say hypothetically that you do manage to bring the numbers back and you find the last owner what are they gunna say ? "yea it was stolen.....does it run ? Well then i want it back."
Regasket it,rering it and ride it ! Or send it to me....

haha.. dido................

yea i guess, i ran the numbers they are clean but still why scratch the numbers off for any other reason..oh well i guess ill rebuild hopefully it works out

mayeb teh eengine was replaced before you bought it and since the numbers didn't match somebody scratched them off.. i wouldn;t worry one bit about the numbers on that engine case.. there are like 6 numbers that are the same. in fact even if that engine was from a stolen machine they probably couldn't trace it anyway.. just rebuild the engine you have and keep roostin.