custom headlights

killerke

Oct 2, 2014
flanders, belgium
hello,
Today i installed mij new headlights(actualy fog lights for the car)
20141029_155054.jpg

But the lights are 55W each.So when i plug them both in, they only give a dim light and my rear light does'nt work. But as soon as i pull 1 loose the rear lights works and the 1 still plugged in shines bright.

Now i'm wondering, can i install LED H3 bulbs? or do i need a rectifier to go from AC to DC like the one in the pic for example?

11006.jpg

Or does the blaster produces Direct current? because i've installed a aftermarket rear light that is also LED, and it works.
20141027_211527.jpg

And if i install a rectifier, do i need to place it between the wires that come from the lightning coil?
greets

Last edited:
the blaster produces AC current.

LED lights (like you taillight) work because half the power going through is the right way to turn an LED on
if you videoed it and slowed it down, you would see the brake light flashing

to run better LED bulbs up front, it is recommended to get a rectifier. search 79bronco for his light thread in electrical i believe

But the lights are 55W each.So when i plug them both in, they only give a dim light and my rear light does'nt work. But as soon as i pull 1 loose the rear lights works and the 1 still plugged in shines bright.

the stock blaster stator only puts out, and can only run 55 watts max.
the highest output lighting coil for the blaster stator that I know of, and I run, is 75 watts.
your total wattage must stay under/at the total output of the stator.

you could also wire one light to the low beam position of the switch and one to the high beam and aim them accordingly, one aimed low and one aimed high, low beam for slower speeds in the trails and flip to high beam for faster open areas.

okay, i fabricated my own H3 bulb but only 20W :).
In the stores i could only find H3 55W and 100W.

So what i did is, i've bought a standard halogen bulb
osram-halogeenlamp-gx6-35-230v-1000w-64575.jpg

I took the H3 bulb and i removed the original bulb so that i only had the fitting left.

I slipped a speaker wire over the 2 pins from the halogen.
Put the bulb in the fitting and clamped it with a pair of pliers. the secure the wires over the pins i put some 2k epoxy glue over it.

Finished product

20141031_193713[1].jpg

So the headlights use 40W and the rear light is LED.

i there a way to test if the switch for the high beam is still ok?

best regards

I like the concept, but the pins of the globe get very hot, maybe the Epoxy will be affected by the heat.

Time will tell, top marks for your innovation.

Reactions: killerke
I like the concept, but the pins of the globe get very hot, maybe the Epoxy will be affected by the heat.

Time will tell, top marks for your innovation.

thanks, if the epoxy won't hold i am gonna look for something else, maybe order qome on ebay if nothing holds.

Yeah i know they are available on ebay but i needed the bulbs xD and if i order something on ebay it takes a while for delivery in Belgium :(.
I had some LED h3 first but they did'nt produce enough light to ride in the night :S 15€ a piece all for nothing :s.

And now they are 20W each so i have some spare wattage:)