crankshaft best option

blastercrazy240

Feb 22, 2012
Hi everyone i am new too this site and allready loving all the usefull info i have found about my blaster .. my question is i have a 91 blaster that i just bought and it needs a bore and new piston and a crank because the washer on the bottom of the rod blew apart .. so ill ne puting my crank bearings and seals in it too wile it is apart ... i would like too know what my best option is for a crank should i get a weisco or a hotrod or a veto's or should i have my spare crank that just has very slight up and down play rebuilt by ken o connor racing who is going too be doing the bore on my cylinder??? Please help guys idk what too do

just have ken rebuild that crank

Not really maybee just like an exhaust but it wont be for a wile untill the wallet allowes me again lol .. and thats what i was thinking was having him rebuild it because I have been hearing too many horror stories about aftermarket cranks
... is o Connor racing a good place too have all my work done? IV never done any business with him but have heard really good things on this site

... is o Connor racing a good place too have all my work done? IV never done any business with him but have heard really good things on this site

one call does it all, in house, by ken himself

I'd find out what it'd cost to have your stock crank rebuilt. If you can get a stroker for a little more then I'd go that route

I'd find out what it'd cost to have your stock crank rebuilt. If you can get a stroker for a little more then I'd go that route

I would lean towards this option a bit as well, if you get a vito's +3, have Ken true it before it goes in (i believe he does this anyway, but it won't hurt to verify

Ken does good work and if you don't want to handle any of the bottom end work your best bet is to send it to him. He presses crankshafts, sweats bearings, laps cases, reassembles and tests all by hand.

If you are looking for someone to rebuild the crank only, check out this thread:

Crankshaft Rebuilds - Yamaha Blaster Forum

$99 including return shipping for a completely rebuilt crank using all new parts.

if your going with a stock stroke price the rebuild and price a hot rods crank.. if the stock rebuild includes a true and bore then go that route.. "production" cranks really aren't trued as well as they could be or SHOULD be

I was looking at the +3 cranks but i dont think i want too deal with all the port timing and everything too make it right .. not right now at least because it is gunna just be a trails wheeler and maybee a cupple drag races with my cousins 300ex so i dont need a power house just yet lol that can be when the crank gets worn out again :) lol ... when ken does the cranks does he true them really good? And i thank all u guys for all the advise cuz im new to the blaster world lol

I was looking at the +3 cranks but i dont think i want too deal with all the port timing and everything too make it right .. not right now at least because it is gunna just be a trails wheeler and maybee a cupple drag races with my cousins 300ex so i dont need a power house just yet lol that can be when the crank gets worn out again :) lol ... when ken does the cranks does he true them really good? And i thank all u guys for all the advise cuz im new to the blaster world lol

ken even trues the aftermarket ones before installing them, they are not as good as they could be out of the box

I cant beleve these company's are selling cranks that are that far out of being true ... i guess u dont get what u pay for anymore lol .. not eben with wheeler stuff .. cuz i just built a 383 stroker for my truck and i had to have a brand new ballenced crank re ballenced because it was so far out

I cant beleve these company's are selling cranks that are that far out of being true ... i guess u dont get what u pay for anymore lol .. not eben with wheeler stuff .. cuz i just built a 383 stroker for my truck and i had to have a brand new ballenced crank re ballenced because it was so far out

Last edited by a moderator:
a semi-local shifter cart racer (i believe they're 125's) has pulled a couple of wiseco rods apart too.

I put 2 seasons on my Wiseco crank and never had an issue FWIW. but the seal kit they come with is JUNK

that..."out of true" isn't just limited to the wiseco's, just happens to be the only one showing on youtube, i'd bet ken adjusts a good many, of all makes, before installing them

that..."out of true" isn't just limited to the wiseco's, just happens to be the only one showing on youtube, i'd bet ken adjusts a good many, of all makes, before installing them

I wouldn't doubt it. I know a guy here with a banshee that put a hotrods stock stroke crank in a banshee, and got a TERRIBLE vibration. put a good stock one in and it was gone. he sent the thing back for a refund

factory cranks aren't near true either.. theres a reason we true and weld factory banshee cranks...

I cant beleve that video ... ill defenetly be having ken rebuild mine and true it now... thank u guys for.all the help .. ill have too post a video of my blaster when i get it going