Clutch Replacment

B

blastermehn

My clutch wasn't working on my 2002 Blaster, so we decieded to tear it apart to see what was wrong. So I decided i'd go ahead and make a DIY on how to take your clutch apart.

1- The very first thing you HAVE to do is drain your tranny oil.

2- Next, you need to remove your kickstarter with a 3/4 socket.

IMG_2273.jpg

3- Next, let your footpeg hang by taking off one 11mm bolt and two 14mm bolts.

IMG_2278.jpg

4- Remove spring for footbrake on footpeg.

5- Remove Oil Pump cover with 4 phillips head screws.

IMG_2277.jpg

6- Remove Clutch Cover with eight 8mm bolts.

And here is your clutch-

IMG_2283.jpg

And here is your clutch basket-

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

Reactions: B14573r
there is a rod with a phillips head on it and a nut,,, pictured in the second to the last picture it will be in the center of the pressure plate. screw it in till it stops mabey let it off just a hair and tight the nut.... he did not explain changein a clutch in this section so far........ you will need to soak your fiber clutch disks first and place a fiber first followed by a metal and go back and forth there are notches on the outside of the metal disks and you will place the first one at 12:00 and each following metal goin metal,fiber,metal,feber,etc.... 60 Degrees or about 2 spaces on the basket from the last... there is one fiber that is a smaller diamiter you will place this smaller fiber as the second fiber that you install and if you are using the rubber cushioner "big O-ring" it will be placed inside of that fiber. be sure to tighten the pressure plate to tourqe specs and do it in a criss cross patter. you will tighten them down criss crossing until they just stop and then torque them. hope this has helped any thing else just post you question.

Reactions: B14573r
Also, when you take the clutch apart there is a little like BB type of ball behind the rod, dont loose that or forget to put it back in, cause than you have to re drain all the oil, also after you are done adjusting it, make sure you tighten the nut or you will start to ride and then your clutch will loose all its tension. Not a big deal, but dont think you actually have to take the oil motor off, it comes off with the clutch cover, just a few minutes and more parts, but that is your preference.

I am about to change the clutch on my 98 yamaha blaster and was wondering what clutch kit you would suggest and what the torque specs. for it are? I would appreciate any help as I bought this used not too long ago without the manual!

Also, when you take the clutch apart there is a little like BB type of ball behind the rod, dont loose that or forget to put it back in, cause than you have to re drain all the oil, also after you are done adjusting it, make sure you tighten the nut or you will start to ride and then your clutch will loose all its tension. Not a big deal, but dont think you actually have to take the oil motor off, it comes off with the clutch cover, just a few minutes and more parts, but that is your preference.

yeah. thats the ball joint. you dont want to lose that. the whole reason i did this DIY was because i had my clutch taken apart because i melted my ball bearing onto my push rod. hehe.. dont ask me how. lol

Thanks, I just ordered the new tusk clutch! It's on its way! I'll update on my progress through the replacement.

When you say "notch" in the metal disk do you mean the little hump that comes about a 1/4" out of the metal disk? When I reassembled the clutch the first time I was able to just pull the metal rod right out, it wouldn't tighten then I saw I forgot to put a washer back on....which side of the plate does the washer go, on the inside or the outside? I put it on the inside and all was going well until I over-tightened one of the bolts and it snapped...I just was able to back it out with a drill bit but now have to go find a new bolt, lame.

-Spence

blastermehn,,, thats not good most the time if that happens you will need to split your cases i had a yz250 that did that twice,,, talk about pissed. silver.... yes you are correct about the notches I was describing.. as for the washer I beleive it would be inside but I am posting some pictures ""should show up very large"" and hopefully will awnser you question./.....

thank you blasterresto!!!!!!!!! that damn ball bearing fell out and i had no idea where it was supposed to go! off course i have to order a new one becuz i kind of threw it away........ but thanks agian or i would be pissed to have more problems

blasteretro;; yea. i did have to split my cases. but now the blasters gone. sold it yesterday for 1500. now its up to my Predator for upgrades. =]

when putting pressure plate back on it only goes back on one way. took me 4 times to get that