Clutch Cover Polishing!

Dex94

Dec 29, 2015
So some of you may know Iam buying a blaster over the summer to do a complete rebuild. I've started purchasing parts already here's a clutch cover I won on eBay for 8pounds around 4dollars lol. Iam going to be polishing it up to the best finish I can possibly achieve here's my progress so far... Any tips on how to get the best results possible would be appreciated.

heres the cover as it was bought.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So I started to run off as much junk/paint I possibly could with a wire brush. Thankfully previous owner had done a rubbish job of painting it so the majority of it just flaked off.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This was about as good as it got with wire brush so time for plan "B". LOL
image.jpeg

I purchased various bits and pieces for the Dremel polishing/buffing wheels and small wire brushes to get into all hard to reach areas. I must say Dremel have done a fantastic job on manufacturing this tool the variable speed on it is outstanding 10k to 35k rpm. Would recommend to buy one if you guys are looking for a new toy I purchased mine for 100pounds (140$) anyway back to cover.

The Dremel got all the rest of paint off of the cover it was time to start sanding all the little scratches and dents out.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok guys here's where Iam at this is just first process of the polishing Iam hoping to get a much brighter shine off it as I said any tips would be greatly appreciated. Hope you like my thread so far .

Looking great! Use a fine or very fine scotchbrite or shurbright type pad for a final polish. It'll give a nice mirror finish on aluminum, but of course it will dull out because exposed aluminum oxidizes...... Quickly!!

Looking great! Use a fine or very fine scotchbrite or shurbright type pad for a final polish. It'll give a nice mirror finish on aluminum, but of course it will dull out because exposed aluminum oxidizes...... Quickly!!
Yeah that's the downfall to this polishing carry on lol. i will try this method I have 2 polishing pads and polishing compound for my Dremel hopfully this will bring it up to spec I want. Thanks man.

Looking kick ass already!

May I suggest this product here when you get to your final stages...

\/ \/ \/

Sure man only thing is I live in Scotland so not sure if I can purchase this stuff here. What does this product do? Just polish and prevent its dulling

Here's where Iam at today guys getting bloody frustrating found a hairline crack on the inside of the cover so have grinded crack right threw going to braze it when I get a chance.
I have my final exam coming up in 2 weeks for college so will be putting this little project on hold it will get finished tho. In 2 weeks time I will be known as a fully qualified Mechanical Engineer :) lol.
image.jpeg

Ok guys so got back to the project today. Got the crack grinded out and brazed Iam pretty happy with results. Here's step by step if any you guys wish to attempt some day.

So I heated case to just below melting point of aluminium which is 600-700 degree C. I had it at around 450 ish and boom rod melted away no problem at all. I made sure the hole was filled right up then went over it with a Dremel sand attachment to get any rough spots away. I then let the metal cool down (naturally) ie sit it and don't touch until it's cold. This is a process called normalising it basically keeps all the metals important properties. If you were to quench in water then sand the metal it would become brital and would basically crack again under any applied force ie rocks on they trails. Any how this is where Iam at thinking about painting the bottom half and just polishing up Yamaha logo on top end there's a lot of work in this and I just ain't got the time or tools for the job.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's where Iam at today guys getting bloody frustrating found a hairline crack on the inside of the cover so have grinded crack right threw going to braze it when I get a chance.
I have my final exam coming up in 2 weeks for college so will be putting this little project on hold it will get finished tho. In 2 weeks time I will be known as a fully qualified Mechanical Engineer :) lol.
View attachment 27677
That's awesome I'm going for mechanical engineering aswell =) . Great work on the cover, it's amazing what a little elbow grease can do!

That's awesome I'm going for mechanical engineering aswell =) . Great work on the cover, it's amazing what a little elbow grease can do!
Mechanical engineering is a good career route amazing how much you learn and how much it changes you good luck man ! Iam finishing in 3 weeks starting my new job in 4 it's been along 5 years but well worth it man

Reactions: Awk08
Looks good. I've polished out jjust the Yamaha centers on the clutch covers before. I've done all that you did, but I found that the red polishing compound that Dremel sells, with there felt polishing pad brings out a mirror shine.

After I do that, I hit it with some mother's polishing compound, and a microfiber towel. Those towels work great to buff it out.

Here is the last one I did.
IMG_20160326_122304716.jpg

Looks good. I've polished out jjust the Yamaha centers on the clutch covers before. I've done all that you did, but I found that the red polishing compound that Dremel sells, with there felt polishing pad brings out a mirror shine.

After I do that, I hit it with some mother's polishing compound, and a microfiber towel. Those towels work great to buff it out.

Here is the last one I did. View attachment 27760
Looks good man

Ok guys so got back to the project today. Got the crack grinded out and brazed Iam pretty happy with results. Here's step by step if any you guys wish to attempt some day.

So I heated case to just below melting point of aluminium which is 600-700 degree C. I had it at around 450 ish and boom rod melted away no problem at all. I made sure the hole was filled right up then went over it with a Dremel sand attachment to get any rough spots away. I then let the metal cool down (naturally) ie sit it and don't touch until it's cold. This is a process called normalising it basically keeps all the metals important properties. If you were to quench in water then sand the metal it would become brital and would basically crack again under any applied force ie rocks on they trails. Any how this is where Iam at thinking about painting the bottom half and just polishing up Yamaha logo on top end there's a lot of work in this and I just ain't got the time or tools for the job.
]

I guess with "proper" tools , industrial grade, polishing isn't bad. I've seen carbs polished to mirror finish. I don't have patience to do this. Plus my cover I cut and filled the water nipples, polished the center, painted the logo.
The way the cover is cut away for pimp cover it's ugly no matter what you do.

As to that crack, I'd have used JB Weld with fiberglass cloth on inside, notched crack on outside , fill, sand, paint, done !! FTW !!