cheap and easy porting

Tim Steele

Oct 6, 2007
Front Royal, VA
Ported the Blastard today more to follow on it in the engine thread....
here;s some pics: mostly just smooth and remove casting imperfections and smooth the intake , smooth and polish the exhaust...
Rough cut:
roughcut.jpg

1/2 polished:
halfpolished.jpg

Polished and ready to install:
polished.jpg

Intake smoothed :
intake.jpg

It's all together initial fireup report follows.

You didn't really port it you just polished it. porting is where you actually remove a nice chunk of the material an angle the ports for more HP an from what i can see you didn't angle any of the ports just polished the intake an exhaust...... but you should post what you used to polish it

there is still a big casting flaw in to the exaust near the cylinder , and in the intake side you should make the bridge more like a wing(verry thin in the middle ,i post some pic's in the dyi section go take a looke ,but so far nice beggining!!!! keep up the good work

Turns out the Ebay bottom end is a perfectly shifting 6 speed . Got about 45 mins total time on the engine ,heat cycling for 10 -15 min run time with brief throttle bursts. Lifts the front end if you just blip the throttle in 1st. Good low end still breaking in . Thanks for the responses. The method I use for port clean up ,gasket matching etc:
Dremel with round sanding drum for rough cut. 320 wet or dry to get the ripples out, Coarse ,then fine emery cloth by hand til it's smooth and finally a round polishing wheel on the dremel and Blue magic metal polish followed by Mothers.
This thing runs sweet so far,time for another heat cycle... 290 main with the airbox lid off airscrews at 1.5 out and needle in the middle.

It will still help.

Good work, but keep going!! Work on the piston skirt, too. Opening the passage won't do much if you can't get through. Take your time and keep on working. You can easily get a 75% full port job by eye. The rest takes a little set of jigs or a lot of exper.

A