carburetor ?'s

dblblstr

Apr 18, 2014
Alpena, Michigan
If I have pipes, dual petal reeds, .50 over and a 2nd stage jet kit what is the process to tune it in so im gettin max power, im not sure if I adjust the screw on the carb then the screw on the tors box on top of carb????? Need some advice on tuning the carb with the stuff I have done to it. Ive also drilled holes in the air filter cover. Its fast n has torque but It could be faster. Not sure if its tune to its full potential. Lookin tip n tricks!!

Idle adjusting.-----------------

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

---------------------------

Then Plug chop after fitting the correct jets to suit your mods which will be forth coming when we know all your mods, elevation ect.

Before you make the plug chop run it is important that the float level is correct, the idle is set correctly and there are no air leaks in the system, otherwise the smoke ring may lie about the AFR.

WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING.

Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride WOT through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, apply brakes to come to a stop quickly.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.

Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.

The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet circuit.

I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

Ok now when u say 1.5 turns does that mean turning the screw twice is a full turn then a half of one? Im sure thats what u mean but I wanna make sure im doin all this correctly. It runs good n has good power. Seems like it could have more on the top-end but maybe im just expecting more due to mods.

With a FMF and holes in the lid you can look at #270 - #280 , if you pre mix then #290, aftermarket air filter up it one more size.

Toss the jet kit, they seldom contain genuine jets and can be misleading, buy single genuine jets!

Needle clip in middle slot and #32.5 pilot jet.

Ok now when u say 1.5 turns does that mean turning the screw twice is a full turn then a half of one? Im sure thats what u mean but I wanna make sure im doin all this correctly. It runs good n has good power. Seems like it could have more on the top-end but maybe im just expecting more due to mods.
One complete turn counter clockwise, then one half turn.

One turn is 360degs

With a FMF and holes in the lid you can look at #270 - #280 , if you pre mix then #290, aftermarket air filter up it one more size.

Toss the jet kit, they seldom contain genuine jets and can be misleading, buy single genuine jets!

Needle clip in middle slot and #32.5 pilot jet.

Fmf pipe will move the power to the lower rpms so your not gonna get the power at the top. Make sure your follow blasters advice to plug chopping and getting the correct jetting. You can get more power if you run lean but it will ruin your top end so stay just slightly on the rich side

yup fully seat the air screw then back it out 540 degrees...also on your reeds did you use the plate they came with or the stock reed stoppers hopefully not both of them..o_O

I got a 300 in it n its a uni air filter. Like I said its runnin good just wanna make sure im tuning right to the ugrades I have. I was really doggy after the jets but I took air box cover off n it ran alot better

That's where the plug chop n genuine jets will come in to get it just right for optimum performance and keep your piston from melting

Im actually runnin rich cuz I was mixin my gas then hooked up the oil injection to make sure it works. So im just runnin it like that n just keep adding straight gas till its not mixed anymore

Im using the stock stoppers. Thats the curved plate right. I think the reeds just came with lil long plates that just go from screw to screw not a plate

just making sure your using the stock stoppers, and not the plat they came with,if you had both on there the screws would prob come loose then bah boom..

i loved my fmf exhaust,it ran just fine with my lid on to,although i accidently put my hand to close to snorkel part one day and it stalled,cuz i blocked it to much lol oops

Im actually runnin rich cuz I was mixin my gas then hooked up the oil injection to make sure it works. So im just runnin it like that n just keep adding straight gas till its not mixed anymore
If you keep adding straight fuel to the tank, then the mixture is going to get continually richer until the tank only contains pure gas.

When you add oil to fuel it leans out the mixture because the oil takes the place of the fuel.

Straight gas to 32:1 is approximately one jet size different.

There is a misconception about running rich, there is oil rich which can be a good thing for extra power and lubrication.

There is fuel rich, which losses power and fouls plugs.

In a nutshell, if you add oil to fuel (premix) you need to increase the size of the jets.

If you are going to run the oil pump, just drain the gas and use straight gas and pump. It will take forever to dilute out the premix and you will be chasing your jetting until all premix is gone.
JMHO