car wont turn over

tyler2277

Apr 28, 2008
chicago
ok i dont know if any body in here like cars also but im working on a 1960 mercury and it wont turn over, the battery was charing when i did so and all the lights work, i cleaned the carb tonight but i know thats not the problem, do you think it is possibly a bad starter? im not sure but i want to get it started to get rid of the darn thing!
thanks guys

sounds like the battery is shot and has enough juice for the lights but not enough amps for the starter
or
the starter is shot.
One or the other my blaster brother!!
Got a pic of the car??

i dont have one right now, ill get one tomorrow im really hopeing its not the starter, ive heard there beotches, i left the battery charging over night so ill see what happens tomorrow, thanks for the help guys, i really just want to get this car running so its not just a parts car

clean the connections on the batter and batter cables( at the battery AND at the started) and see what happens. if that fail have someone try to start the car and wack the side of the started with a wrench or hammer.. if that dont work time for a new starter

thats what i was thinking and thats from autozone!!!

and for all that want to see the car it looks like this one but this ones not mine just same car

DSC06595.jpg

before you go beating on the starter......yes i know it works......check to see that the wiring hasnt been chewed by mice or squirrels then check to see if the motor is siezed (grab a breaker bar and socket and place it on the nut by the harmonic balancer and try turning it, if you have to pull the plugs then try the starter again.) let me know how it works

yea man i had this car for one day
IMG00058.jpg

we took it mudding then got it stuck and it stalled out, and it wouldnt start so i started smacking the starter with a hammer.
it started right up then after one more bagging she quit and i realized she had no oil and i was still tryign to start it, she eventually went up in smoke the wires started sparking ahah
ohh good times

hitting a starter with a hammer is like smacking your girl with a newspaper to get her to do dishes.....while it works a couple times, if you keep it up your asking for trouble:)

haha ok guys i got it turning over today, was tryin to start it, gas down the carb starter fluid and then i realized my dumbass friend that put the carb on forgot to tighten all the lines to it and by that time it was 10 30 ish so i had to go home, boy was i pissed